What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Foam Ribs for Trailing edge - Need confirmation of template Dimensions

MElstien

Well Known Member
Hello,

When I first received my plans, I scanned them into PDF format 1:1. I print out copies as I build and make my building notes on them. I have misplaced the originals and up until this point, it has not been a problem at all.

I now need to cut out the foam ribs for the elevator. While I scanned the pages 1:1 and print them out to scale on 11 x 17 paper, I remain cautious that the scale may not be 100% accurate. Now I need to use the page that comes after page 9-20 as a template to cut out the foam ribs. There is no ?Scale? on this page that the builder can use to make sure the template is accurately printed at the proper scale. I copied my page and measured the foam boxes using a dial caliper to the OUTSIDE portion of the boxed lines. That page is attached to this email.

Does anyone out there have plans they could use to double check the same dimensions. Could you please confirm or correct the measurements I took to see if my print-out is to the proper scale before I cut the ribs and adhere them to the skins.

I would also recommend to VANs that any templates like this and in other parts of the kits, also include a scale that we can use to verify the template is the proper size.

Thank you in advance.

RV-10%20Elevator%20Rib%20Measurements%20Page%20after%209-20.JPG

That seems odd that there is no scale on yours. On mine, Van's did provide a scale along the sides that you were supposed to check with a ruler to make sure it was printed correctly:

09-21.png

Hope this helps!

My page had no formatting on it

Thank you Michael,

I just checked my scans and the page has the page holes but no other formatting information, no page outlines, no title block like all the other pages. Odd.

I sent an email to support to see what they say.

Mike, is it possible for you you to tell me what your dimensions are that I measured on my original post from your properly scaled printout?
I am showing what page 9-20 and then 2 pages look like on my scans.

These are screen captures but you should be able to see the complete page even with the hole punched. the page after 9-20 has no formatting.

9-20.JPG

Page%20after%209-20.JPG

Page%20after%20foam%20ribs.JPG

Page%2010-1.JPG

Thank you Michael,

I just checked my scans and the page has the page holes but no other formatting information, no page outlines, no title block like all the other pages. Odd.

Not really odd, you just have an older rev. level of the plans.

There is now a standard that any drawing that requires use at full scale has a reference dimension (just as you suggested).

I guess we thought "odd" because we both appear to be looking at "Revision 0" of the plans... so I'm guessing that Van's added the dimensions without updating the revision number?

It looks like Michael received his emp kit in June 2013 (from his signature), while I got mine in March 2014, so the update must have occurred sometime in there.

Anyway, as far as measuring the blocks themselves, unfortunately I'm working off a PDF myself, and my hard copy is already cut and thrown away from performing that same step myself. Assuming this is an allowable practice, I'd be happy to email you the PDF page I have with the dimensions present, contact me at mikeyj350 on gmail and I can send you what I have. I assume Van's would be willing to do the same though too...

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Resulution

Hello,
I called Vans yesterday and they emailed me the updated page. I printed it out and it scaled perfectly. I am glad I asked because my plan page would have had me making the ribs about 0.25 bigger in height and length.

Thank you everyone.

Back