VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-09-2015, 06:16 PM

Default Canopy polish that beeds rain like rainx

I'm looking for a canopy polish that beeds rain like rainx, but does no harm to the plexiglass/polycarbinate. Ideas?
Old 04-09-2015, 06:21 PM

Pledge beads water.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:26 PM

Default Try RainX

I use RainX over any of the plexiglass window cleaners. Works great, been doing it for years.

Haven't tried it on polycarb, just acrylic.

Dave
Old 04-09-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORANE View Post
Pledge beads water.
Does Pledge have no abrasives or chemicals to damage the material? Rain-x has alcohol that Im told will damage polycarbonates. Have to be certain here.

Last edited by timotb : 04-09-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timotb View Post
Pledge has no abrasives or chemicals to damage the material? Rain-x has alcohol that Im told will damage polycarbonates. Have to be certain here.
Google it, or even do a search here and you may find it mentioned. You will find Pledge discussed on many aviation forums. Some swear by it and will say it removes crazing over time. Personally I dont like it much as it seemed hard to get smudge free. I just use Plexus but that doesn't bead like Pledge.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:56 PM

From Van's website:

Cleaning And Use Of Liquids
For general cleaning use Dawn dishwashing liquid or equivalent and water followed by a clear water rinse. To prevent water spots, blow dry with compressed air or wipe dry with soft cotton flannel. Plexus, Sprayaway #848 Industrial Plastic Cleaner, or All Clear can also be used for day to day cleaning. Grease, oil, tape residue, etc. may best be removed with Mineral spirits, refined kerosene, white gasoline, naphtha, or isopropyl alcohol. Wash approved solvents off of canopy with Dawn dishwashing liquid and water.

It is best to avoid using products that are not specifically
formulated for acrylics on your canopy such as Rain-X or Lemon Pledge.

CAUTION: DO NOT use Loctite, aromatic solvents, acetone, benzene, ethyl acetate, carbon tetrachloride, lighter fluid, lacquer thinners, gasoline, toluene, window sprays, concentrated alcohols, keytones, scouring compounds, ammonia, or 409 cleaner on or around acrylic or Lexan canopy materials.

CAUTION: DO NOT allow electrical tape or auto fuel to come into contact with Lexan as it will also cause crazing. This is a particular issue to beware of when refueling the RV-12.
RV-12 project status: Waiting for the RV-12iS fuselage subkit
Builder log
Old 04-09-2015, 06:59 PM

Rejex works pretty good on plexiglas/acrylics.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORANE View Post
Google it, or even do a search here and you may find it mentioned. You will find Pledge discussed on many aviation forums. Some swear by it and will say it removes crazing over time. Personally I dont like it much as it seemed hard to get smudge free. I just use Plexus but that doesn't bead like Pledge.
Yep, I have been Googling.....not getting a straight answer. I know what to use and what not to use for cleaning. Trying to find a safe product for acrylics that beeds rain like rain-x

Here is one that might work: http://www.ceebaileys.com/ac_accesso...repellent.html

Last edited by timotb : 04-09-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:11 PM

I've used plexus for years on my planes as well as my HD Ultra Classic windshield. Once in motion and air is moving over the lexan, it does bead off like Rain X. Ive also used McGuires auto wax on the cycles windshield with good results, but haven't tried it on the plane.