What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A&P Schools

joe1968

Well Known Member
Looking for advice on A&P schools. the plan I work in is closing and its time for a career change and do something I always wanted to. Any recommendations on a good school.

just a little background 50years old and married

thanks
joe

I have a 21 year old grandson living in Memphis, TN that I believe would also be a candidate for an A&P school. Any recommendations for schools or programs located in the Mid South? Preferably in Memphis

Eastman Georgia a&p

Good environment, jobs available at nearby Warner Robins AFB working on F-15s, C-5, C-130 etc

Has a flight program also

Central NC

Central NC, particularly Greensboro and Winston-Salem is a thriving Aviation Maintenance region. KGSO is nearly 100% Maintenance and manufacturing, and the Greensboro Technical Community College (GTCC) has a full campus here for A&P, as well as abbreviated specialty courses that are partnered with my employer ,HAECO Americas, and Hondajet Aircraft Co....by the way, both companies have RV loyal employees just to keep it RV related!. Aviation jobs are abundant here, although many are entry level positions. I acquired my A&P 40 years ago at Pittsburgh Institute of Aeronautics (PIA), a great school , however that is not in the South!

Hinds Community College has both maintenance & flight training. They even run the airport where the training is based, John Bell Williams Field in Raymond MS, and let our local EAA chapter use the terminal building for our monthly meetings, and they support our Young Eagles events.

And as a bonus, the reborn Questair facility is on the field.
http://www.questairventure.com/

The main campus in Raymond has CAD/CAM training, complete with a very well equipped Fab Lab (3D scanning/printing, LASERs, CNC, etc).

MS might not be the most exciting place to live, but it's also far from the most expensive, if you have to live on limited income while retraining.

Charlie

Any community college that has an A&P

You will save a ton of money if you can find a community college with an A&P program.

There may be a few schools like Embry Riddle that are worth the extra money but unless you have Uncle Sam picking up the bill, a CC is a great way to get your ticket.

A&P

I just finished the A&P program at Greenville Tech (Greenville, SC). At 67 years old, it was a bucket list item for me. World class program and both Lockheed and Stevens Aviation are just across the runway. Both are hiring every A&P available. Lockheed will be building F-16s here.

I toured the one through Everett Community College on Paine field right next to the main Boeing manufacturing plant. I was impressed but ultimately decided another career.

Back