What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sufferance warehouse

1bigdog

Well Known Member
I'm about to order the next 2 kits now that empennage is complete.
I was reading through the sticky post for shipping to Canada.

2 questions. In the sticky post it was commented that the only difference they found in cost between using a sufferance warehouse and door to door including all costs was just $200 !?!?! Really ?

The other question is for any recommendations for a sufferance warehouse you've used and happy with near US Niagara.

Thanks all for the guidance.

Michael,

I usually have Vans ship my large kit orders via ABF Freight. The freight charges are usually half of what you'd pay to ship into Canada.Their warehouse is only 15 mins from the Lewiston bridge.

For small orders I use US Address Inc. They charge $5 a package and they will hold it 7 days no charge. I usually head down with my car fuel near empty and top up at the gas station on the corner. The savings pay for the trip.

There are a lot of builders in the GTA area. If you need a part shipped, just ask around, someone usually is ordering that week from Vans and you can have the part added to the shipment.

Good luck with the build .. It's a awesome experience!

Cheers Jim

http://www.abfs.com
http://www.usaddressinc.com

Last edited:
ordered fuse

Michael,

I usually have Vans ship my large kit orders via ABF Freight. The freight charges are usually half of what you'd pay to ship into Canada.Their warehouse is only 15 mins from the Lewiston bridge.

For small orders I use US Address Inc. They charge $5 a package and they will hold it 7 days no charge. I usually head down with my car fuel near empty and top up at the gas station on the corner. The savings pay for the trip.

There are a lot of builders in the GTA area. If you need a part shipped, just ask around, someone usually is ordering that week from Vans and you can have the part added to the shipment.

Good luck with the build .. It's a awesome experience!

Cheers Jim

http://www.abfs.com
http://www.usaddressinc.com

Hi Jim,

SB Fuse is ordered. It includes a couple mated parts for the wings. QB wing kit order to follow.

I'm probably going to go your route and have the fuse sent to their Tonawanda warehouse. For the crate of this size there is a daily holding charge of about $92 so I best get the timing right.

Thanks for the ideas.

Micheal B.

The savings (don't recall $$ on this shipment) to do it the way that I described in the original post of the sticky made it worthwhile to me.

The most surprising part of this process has been the ease of getting the paper work done.

I've also been happy with ABF. I'd say you are doing the right thing by shipping this high value order to one of their warehouses if picking it up. That way there is no question of responsibility if any damage occurs.

Be good to hear how you make out...

Last edited:
actual quotes

The savings (don't recall $$ on this shipment) to do it the way that I described in the original post of the sticky made it worthwhile to me.

The most surprising part of this process has been the ease of getting the paper work done.

I've also been happy with ABF. I'd say you are doing the right thing by shipping this high value order to one of their warehouses if picking it up. That way there is no question of responsibility if any damage occurs.

Be good to hear how you make out...

Hi Al

Coincidentally, I just got all the various quotes for shipment (in us dollars, by abf, from the VANs dock, to my driveway) so while the VANs quote for shipping is not that bad, once you factor in residential drop off and the liftgate truck .... $1000 + minimum US. Then add in brokerage, about $200. If you look at the cost of a cube van, mileage, fuel, I calculated actual (estimated savings) of about $822 Canadian.

So I'm going to contact VANs today and have the order shipped to Lewiston NY for pickup. And I like the argument of removing question of the source of damage.

I'll let you know how it actually goes in getting through the border.

Cheers.

Michael B.

Back