What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Time Lapse App: Lapse It

Well Known Member
I was looking for a better way to record time lapse videos of my RV-10 construction. I used to use an older GoPro Hero camera mounted in various locations of the shop, but the time and effort needed to copy the individual photos and then render a time lapse movie made me basically not do it very much. That combined with the fact that my GoPro Hero 3+ camera is pretty much bricked made me want to walk away from GoPro anyway.

I happen to have several old Android phones lying around collecting dust, so I did a google search to see if there were alternate camera apps that would do a time lapse photo string. I found something even better: the Lapse It app. ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ui.LapseIt&hl=en )

I believe it is available for iOS devices as well.

Lapse it is available in a free (feature limited) version or a paid version. I have been using the free version in my testing but I probably will end up paying the extra (like $2) for the paid version.

The app is really easy to use, and best of all, can render the time lapse video right on the mobile device. Publishing the video is really easy and can be done right from the app. I use Wordpress for my build log and the Lapse It app can interface with the Wordpress app to directly upload the videos to your Wordpress media library.

The only disappointment I've had so far with the app is that on older Android devices (older than Android 4.3) the H.264 codec is not available. This breaks compatibility with the built in Wordpress video player. I'm hoping to find a way to play the non-H.264 videos directly from wordpress at some point, however, it should be relatively simple to use a video production software to convert from the older codec to H.264.

Here's a sample video (I didn't have the phone set up in a very great location). This is using the free version so resolution is limited and the app adds a "promotional trailer" to the end of the video.

http://www.brunbergs.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/20160221-test2.mp4.mp4

Back