What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Von Alexander N41VA RV-8

Although I never met your dad, I purchased some of his airplane tools for a few of us to share while working on our RVs. I think of him and your family every time I pick one of them up.

My sympathies to you and your family on this sad anniversary.

Tools

Do you mind me asking what you purchased? Would you be willing to sell them back? There are a few tools I would love to get my hands on again, good memories.

Vince,
I recall very clearly your fathers journey in building his RV-8, in fact a mate of mine commented at the time that it was the RV community that built the airplane such was the extent he posted and sought opinions from other. His drive to build the airplane was shared by very many others.
His loss was a great shock to me and I'm sure to everyone in this community. He must have been a great dad, I know your loss is profound.
Good luck reassembling some of his tools what a great way to remember him. I do suggest you post on the Matronics RV-list, since this was where most of his activities were recorded.

We all die a little when a fellow rver goes down.

Just wanted everybody to remember my Dad. Von Alexander, he passed away on July 10th 1999 in his RV-8.

He is a greatly missed Dad, Husband and a Grandpa now. The RV community is amazing and hopefully we can get back into it soon.

Thanks

Just wanted to add my condolences and the fact that he is a greatly missed RV builder/Friend in addition to what you said. Although I had never met your dad, he was an inspiration to me via Matt's Matronics RV-List. He and I communicated many times and I, like everyone, valued his building advice. His accident was a total shock to those of us following his project.

I have thought of him often since the accident.

We welcome you back to VAF when you are ready.

Last edited:
Kelby,
Pretty much every year on this weekend (Arlington Fly-in) a thought of your Dad comes to mind, but thank you for the reminder.
I didn't know him very well, but I enjoyed his infectious level of enthusiasm any time that I talked with him.

Scott

Any of us that have been around RV's for very long remember Von well. Years before these forums, we all were building our "old" kits with various newsgroups, etc. We were building at the same time (along with folks like Sam B, and a few others that are still around). Von's name still comes up once and awhile, so I think I'm safe in saying he's not forgotten! I'm glad you're still around and thinking of RV's, your dad would be glad!

Cheers,
Stein

N41VA,

I'd be happy to see what I can find. There were a couple other guys involved too, so I'm not sure who has what.

Do you recall specific items that I should look for?

Contact me offline at [email protected] please and we'll sort it out.

The name Von Alexander pops into my head quite often. In fact, I always intended to put his name, along with a couple of others, somewhere on the plane.

Your dad was one of the early RV-8 builders on Phil Arter's "RV-8 Short List," as I recall, even before the Matronics list.

Along with Phil (#80005) and Jerry Thornton, who bucked most of my rivets and built a beautiful RV-6A, your dad's name is always simmering on the back burner of my mind, even though we never met.

WOW

Thanks for such kind words everybody. My dad loved the RV community and so do I. I have a few things in the works, maybe a memorial RV being built in the near future.....we will see. Thanks again everybody!

N41VA,

I have accumulated a small box of stuff that we got from your dad many years ago. Mostly wiring and odd, one-off items. We did find an air drill with his name on it. Not sure of its condition, but looks like it should still work fine.

Also found an impact wrench with his name on it. It works fine.

I'll keep an eye out for other items. I know there's more, but between the guys involved, I'm not sure where or who got what and if it isn't marked with his name, well, we just don't know for sure.

However, if you send me your address, I'll gladly ship the items we find. No charge whatsoever.

Vince

Never saw this!

Man I feel horrible, I never saw this reply. Any chance you still have the impact wrench with his name on it? If not its ok! Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I believe that I do. How about contacting me at [email protected] and we can more easily figure this out.

I'll be happy to return anything that I may still have from the items I received.

Oh My Gosh! There is seldom a month that goes bye without me thinking about Von. We never met personally but conversed via email and the forums on a regular basis. When he died, part of myself died also. Unfortunately many others have passed since Von but for some reason his death was closer than the others. I don't know why.

The world is a lesser place without Von in it.

Back