What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 Elevator Push Rod length.

Graham

I am starting to rig my RV6 elevators, and I have to say that the Vans instructions are rather confusing.

My question is simple. Have people found it necessary to shorten the F-690 Push Rod? If so do you know by how much it was shortened, or better still what the tube end to end dimensions ended up being?

Thank You
Graham Murphy
New Zealand.

I am not sure about the designation, but to get the belcrank aft of the baggage bulkhead to rig properly I had to shorten the rod between the torque tube and the belcrank ( underfloor). If I Remember correctly maybe as much as .75?.

Each RV6 is a bit different here. There are a few issues you want to be aware of as you size the pushrod, assuming we are taking about the steel one from the control weldment to the bellcrank.
Weldment hitting the rear spar web at full aft stick deflection. Some manipulation of the weldment (grinding) where the rod end attaches may be necessary. Keep your edge distances!
The push rod hitting the flange of the cutout under the baggage bulkhead. (Trimming for clearance is usually required).
The “hex” rod that ties the two stick weldments together can rub on the push rod as you move the stick side to side with stick at full deflection.

All of these are affected by the length of the pushrod.

No, I believe he is talking about the F-690 which goes from the bellcrank to the tail.

It was listed as 78 3/8 and got shortened to 78 inches with revision R8 of the plans.

RV6 ELEVATOT PUSHROD

Folks,

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

I have finished the rigging & FYI my F690 (Top) Pushrod measures 77 7/8" face to face of tube, or close enough to 80 inches face to face of VA101 end fittings. We trimmed 1" off the "as supplied" length of the tube & could have trimmed another 1/8" where it extends past the bevel on VA101, but didn't.

End fitting rivet holes all drilled but wont rivet until after priming.

Hopefully flying this southern hemisphere spring.

Graham

Back