What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator rod end position

Girraf

Well Known Member
Friend
Instructions call out a distance of 13/16 (26/32") , but not greater than 7/8" (28/32") from the spar doubler plate to the center of the bearing. Does anyone have any good reasons for using one over the other? I think the difference is only 1/2 turn of the rod end.

I have mine set at 7/8" right now because I have seen other builders run into trouble with not having enough clearance to to the torque tube part of the control arm to secure the nut on the bolt that goes through the center bearing. Having gotten a look at my situation though, I could probably move them in to 13/16" without a problem.

Another thought is that by having the elevator sit further from the HS, you increase the amount of deflection if its needed.

I won't be drilling my control arms anytime soon but I do need to settle on a number before that can happen.

The variance in distance is to achieve an exact straight hinge line with the other rod ends on the control surfaces. The suggested range of depths insures that the rod ends have sufficient thread contact with the spar nut plates and that the elevator leading edge won't scrape on the HS skins at full deflection.
Same reasoning for rod end bearing depths on the rudder.
Control arms hole position shouldn't be affected by this either way.

Tip- put a drop of thread locker on the jam nuts as they have a tendancy to loosen off- #1 on snag list on many annuals I perform.

Back