What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static ports

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Doing some research it seems that there are three main choices for the static ports:

Van's: tested but some say has cosmetic issues

Safe air: some complaints about static errors

Cleveland: some complaints about static errors

Some have comented the static error issues have been corrected with a newer port design.

Are there still issues with the safe air and cleaveland ports.

You have to be careful of stereotypical reviews. For example, Cleaveland made several iterations. The earlier ones had issues, but the current ones don't.

I have the Cleaveland ones on my RV-10 and they're working just fine.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I think Van's ports (a pull rivet) look fine, and the price is certainly right.

So, the previous issues I read with the other manufactures must have been resolved. I need to look at the Van's then compare. So other than eye appeal, are there additional benefits to the safe air or cleaveland, i.e. Installation ?

So, the previous issues I read with the other manufactures must have been resolved. I need to look at the Van's then compare. So other than eye appeal, are there additional benefits to the safe air or cleaveland, i.e. Installation ?

Strictly cosmetics......

Tim Olson had a nice write up on myrv10.com that discussed his trials and tribulations. It will give you a little more background on the issues encountered over the years.

I have the Safe-Air and I'm very satisfied. Look good. However, I failed to put sealant on them so that the cups the certifiers use tend to suck extra air around the outside of the orifice. In short, they have to disconnect my alternate static line, and use it instead. I tape the orifices so that the readings are good.
Frankly, I see nothing wrong with Van's rivet ports......
John

Back