What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NACA vents install question

BlackhawkSP

Well Known Member
Guys:

I have the 2 NACA vents to install on the front fuselage and 2 others aft of the baggage door on each side to feed the Aerosport overhead plenum. The drawings say to simply use Pro Seal to bond them to the inside of the fuselage. Is the Pro Seal alone sufficient to keep them on, or have others also added a rivet or two as a mechanical backup fastener? Just wondering.

Guys:

I have the 2 NACA vents to install on the front fuselage and 2 others aft of the baggage door on each side to feed the Aerosport overhead plenum. The drawings say to simply use Pro Seal to bond them to the inside of the fuselage. Is the Pro Seal alone sufficient to keep them on, or have others also added a rivet or two as a mechanical backup fastener? Just wondering.

Pro seal is adequate. Mine have been on for about four years so far. I also used micro to fill in around the naca radius and the aluminum edge to put a nice radius on them.

If you can't sleep at night, you can always add some rivets. :D

Bob, Van's instructions for the NASA vents on the RV-14 says not to radius the edges , to only round the very corner of the skin so it doesn't cut. This is my recollection of there instructions not word for word as my manual for the fuselage is out in the hangar.
Ron

Hmm, if you don't fill the gap created between the radius on the naca vent and the aluminum skin, it will become a dirt collector plus it looks terrible. I basically filled that gap with micro and sanded it smooth.

I'm not sure why Vans stated that in the rv-14 instructions. It certainly doesn't impede airflow.

Back