What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Vernier Throttle Cable

Bigortho

The RV 12 come with a McFarlane vernier throttle cable, but the RV-14 is shipped with an ACS locking throttle cable which slips, according to pilots flying their finished RV-14?s.

Well Tim Paine of McFarlane has designed a Vernier throttle cable for the RV-14: cost $310. I will install it next week.

McFarlane Aviation, Inc.
696 East 1700 Road
Baldwin City, KS 66006
785-594-2741 Ext 218
800-544-8594
785-594-3922 fax
www.mcfarlaneaviation.com

but the RV-14 is shipped with an ACS locking throttle cable which slips, according to pilots flying their finished RV-14?s.

???

If it does then the throttle would also be slipping (and they don't) on RV-10's, RV-9's, and RV-7's, because they all use the same throttle control design.

I think you are thinking of a couple people saying that their heat control cable slipped (a very different control cable than the one used for the throttle)

I think RV-12 throttles had a tendency to slip because of the spring tension on the Bing carbs on Rotax engines - hence the Vernier. I installed a Mcfarlane vernier throttle cable on my RV-14 but purely for its function.
(I have a Superior XP400 engine and for this engine ONLY, I would recommend adding an extra 2" to the cable length over the standard Vans cable length and this engine will also require fabricating a new throttle bracket.)

Back