What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why I love the experimental world

fbrewer

Well Known Member
Yesterday, 8 of us "Boys with Toys" (all RVs) flew to Llano for some Coopers BBQ.

You know it was great!

Flying home we briefed up a 4-ship flight to do some formation work.

Sitting number 2 on the wing of Bobby "Luke" Lucroy, I hear the dreaded: "Bogie", you need to abort. Your left wheel is leaking hydraulic fluid - lots of hydraulic fluid.

Dang, we eventually clear the active, so the other folks can depart, and of course "Luke" sympathetically aborts with us.

We slowly taxi our bird back to the ramp and then took the opportunity to practice turns to see when the tail wheel would unlock and so forth. Actually it was a good mindset practice, should we lose a brake ever in the future.

Here is the kicker: "Luke" has everything needed in his go-bag. We removed the left wheel fairing, and dissasembled the left brake, and found the o-ring in the piston was indeed broken.

Replaced the o-ring (of which "Luke" had several spares), reassembled the caliper and then of course, "Luke" had almost everything needed to bleed the brakes. We were short a little on the hydraulic fluid. Oh, and he had safety wires and a safety wire pliers so we could put it back together properly.

But of course, a local at the airport ("Estes") had some hydraulic fluid which promptly brought over.

From abort to repair to again taking off, we were on the ground less than 2 hours.

This is why I love the experimental world. If I had been in my Bonanza or single ship, we would have been SOL.

Thanks "Luke". Thanks "Estes". Thanks "Experimental World".

Yesterday, 8 of us "Boys with Toys" (all RVs) flew to Llano for some Coopers BBQ.

You know it was great!

Flying home we briefed up a 4-ship flight to do some formation work.

Sitting number 2 on the wing of Bobby "Luke" Lucroy, I hear the dreaded: "Bogie", you need to abort. Your left wheel is leaking hydraulic fluid - lots of hydraulic fluid.

Dang, we eventually clear the active, so the other folks can depart, and of course "Luke" sympathetically aborts with us.

We slowly taxi our bird back to the ramp and then took the opportunity to practice turns to see when the tail wheel would unlock and so forth. Actually it was a good mindset practice, should we lose a brake ever in the future.

Here is the kicker: "Luke" has everything needed in his go-bag. We removed the left wheel fairing, and dissasembled the left brake, and found the o-ring in the piston was indeed broken.

Replaced the o-ring (of which "Luke" had several spares), reassembled the caliper and then of course, "Luke" had almost everything needed to bleed the brakes. We were short a little on the hydraulic fluid. Oh, and he had safety wires and a safety wire pliers so we could put it back together properly.

But of course, a local at the airport ("Estes") had some hydraulic fluid which promptly brought over.

From abort to repair to again taking off, we were on the ground less than 2 hours.

This is why I love the experimental world. If I had been in my Bonanza or single ship, we would have been SOL.

Thanks "Luke". Thanks "Estes". Thanks "Experimental World".

Nice. I can tell you a story of the very day that Luke found that his go bag needed a major upgrade. I think I provided TWO o-rings out of my bag, away from home, that day :).

Ha, love it.

We are going to take pictures of "Lukes" go bag to duplicate. It sounds like I should venture back over to Breakaway to view your go bag.

Aside from all the braking fun, Cooper's BBQ is worth the trip alone. Llano is on my "crossing Texas" flight plan.

And they have a courtesy car too!

Getting stranded

Without the help of local RV builders/flyers, I would have been stranded two weeks ago.
I would be very interested in a list of all the contents of this "go bag".
Thanks,

Here's my "go bag". Actually, I put the tools in one bag and the parts in the other. This thread made me realize that I don't have any brake O-rings in the kit. I'll have to fix that.

imUjS1.jpg

Back