Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2019, 08:43 PM

Looking at your picture with the truck tracks looks ready to use now ( but I'm flying a Maule ) there's not a piece of land that flat within a hundred miles or more from my place . Being a mostly retired dirt guy myself I'll only suggest heed your guy's recommendations for drainage.
I built my hangar ( farm building) as large as I could justify 40'deep x 60' gable & 12' ceiling and yes I wish I had built it bigger. I also orientated the bifold door in the gable end with clear polycarbonate panels to a southern exposure to gain maximum FREE solar heating in the winter months and maximum shading during the summer months. Insulated it well and rarely need to use the heater except on the coldest mornings or during several overcast days in a row.
Enjoy living what most can only dream of having your own aerodrome at home.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:52 PM

From the wind direction map (KLWC) if you don't go directly NS, it looks like you should be 16/34 for best wind alignment

http://windhistory.com/station.html?KLWC

KIXD shows about the same

http://windhistory.com/station.html?KIXD
Old 11-07-2019, 09:05 PM

Looking at your picture with the truck tracks it looks ready to use now ( but I'm flying a Maule ) there's not a piece of land that flat within a hundred miles or more from my place . Being a mostly retired dirt guy myself I'll only suggest heed your guy's recommendations for drainage.
I built my hangar ( farm building) as large as I could justify 40'deep x 60' gable & 12' ceiling and yes I wish I had built it bigger. I also orientated the bifold door in the gable end with clear polycarbonate panels to a southern exposure to gain maximum FREE solar heating in the winter months and maximum shading during the summer months. Insulated it well and rarely need to use the heater except on the coldest mornings or during several overcast days in a row.
Enjoy living what most can only dream of having your own aerodrome at home.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
From the wind direction map (KLWC) if you don't go directly NS, it looks like you should be 16/34 for best wind alignment

http://windhistory.com/station.html?KLWC

KIXD shows about the same

http://windhistory.com/station.html?KIXD
You are correct For the prevailing wind. Iím just trying to find the right balance of works with the existing landscape/drainage and is less than a 25knt crosswind most of the time that Iím flying.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:32 PM

WARNING:

Looks like the wind map is using TRUE north and not magnetic........

Adjust for local magnetic variation
Old 11-08-2019, 05:20 AM

Default Grass

Sowing grass requires a special drill. A way around this is mix your grass seed with wheat and it will flow through a standard grain drill with no problem. Wheat will die after mowing leaving the grass.
As Tom said, do not cut up your field with a diagonal strip if you plan on farming it. This is important.
Soil type will have a lot to do with drainage. Mine is sandy loam and naturally drains well. Heavier soils wonít.
Dirt work will vary too. My farm is flat with no rocks and all I did was run a disc over it several times to firm and smooth the soil before planting with a grain drill. That was about 30 yrs ago and it has served me well.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:37 AM
Moderator/Tech Counselor

I would be real concerned about that tree line on the south end. Plus the draining appears more on the SW corner, if I have my orientation correct. It looks better to do a 16/34 orientation to me and try to get rid of the smaller tree'd area on the SE corner.

We have a 1700' grass strip (threshold to threshold) on Air Troy Estates in Wisconsin with 300-400 feet of runoff at each end. We are 1/19. I have attached a link to our website that has an aerial view of our airpark viewing from the North.

You can see the tree lines we need to trim from time to time. They can get real scary when they start to encroach on the final approach. I don't fly anymore but flew my 7A out of this strip. I highly recommend a C/S prop for flying into short fields, especially if you have obstacles to go over.

http://www.airtroyestates.com/index.html

Roberta
Ford Expedition and TRICE "Q"
Built Glen L "ZIP" Classic Outboard Runabout and Super Spartan Hydroplane
Glen L Torpedo
Old 11-08-2019, 01:58 PM

Nice land and home strip plans. I'm jealous. That is a long Pvt strip. RV's need much less than that, even with obstacles. As far as drainage if willing to move dirt and add drainage you can put runway where you like. Just costs more. +1 on crown on runway.

There are obstacle clearance slope from edge of runway to peak of buildings on side of runway requirements.