What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rain....

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
So I'm flying in some pretty decent rain last week, at altitude with OAT around 34 so no ice concerns. My heater door is closed and my vent is a little open and I start to get chilly so time to use the heater. I don't use the heater much here in S. Louisiana.

I felt a few little drops of water on my ankle.

The choices are either it came from the canopy somehow, or it came through the heater box. I'm inclined to think it came through the heater box because I couldn't feel any moisture up under the panel.

Of course by the time I landed everything dried out. No sign of water at the canopy or hinge seals I could identify.

Do I need a poll? Heater or canopy?

Good news is it was just barely noticeable.

I only flew in rain once and was surprised rain did not enter the side vents. Obviously with the vents open I did not need heat but I also had no water on my feet so the canopy is tight on mine.

I have only flown in rain a couple times but had a passenger side drip traced (I believe) to the canopy hinge. The efforts to seal the canopy on the RV14 are complex - multiple foam strips, the canopy hinge cover clips, etc. and I haven?t identified the culprit.

Me too...

I have flown in rain a couple of times. Once in particular from Meridian MS to Carrollton GA. It rained the whole way, enough to get a few drops coming in the vents. I got the same drip on my ankles and did not have the heat on. I figured it migrated in via the canopy seal since I have not tested mine for leaks yet...no paint so I’m waiting :(

FYI - I had the dreaded canopy “pop” a while back and had to trim back the sealant and put a new foam D-seal on the canopy leading edge. I essentially made that gap wider so I’m not surprised I got a drip on my feet.

And I’m having trouble believing Ron from Nova Scotia has only flown in rain once. Maybe only once this week :D

Last edited:
I can't even say it was a drip; didn't feel a real drop. Just a hint of moisture that wasn't there before. A little something on the fingers.

100% nothing came in the vent -> at all.

So overall the carpet was dry, couldn't feel anything underneath the panel in flight.

I'd hate to go find rain just to troubleshoot it. Overall its a positive that it wasn't "wet"!!!

I suppose I could put a hose on the front and see what seeps in but that wouldn't be anything like when I'm at 175 kts.....

I suppose I could put a hose on the front and see what seeps in but that wouldn't be anything like when I'm at 175 kts.....

I?ve never noticed rain coming in thru the vents on my -10. But, some time back, I washed and rinsed the plane (vents closed). I decided to air dry it with a short flight. Just after takeoff, I opened the side vent - and was treated to a brief shower!

I have only flown in rain a couple times but had a passenger side drip traced (I believe) to the canopy hinge. The efforts to seal the canopy on the RV14 are complex - multiple foam strips, the canopy hinge cover clips, etc. and I haven?t identified the culprit.

The same for us. Few drops on passenger ankles. I identified the source of this little leak : the hinge cover clip. But unknowing if it is the clip himself or the seal on the clip's edge.

And I?m having trouble believing Ron from Nova Scotia has only flown in rain once. Maybe only once this week :D[/QUOTE]

You're correct , it rains here every day, but I just retired on Thursday so I haven't been flying any where as much as I would have liked. So rain , here I come!!!

Back