What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Andair fuel valve?

REDII

With all the COVID-19 related time on my hands I have had plenty of time to work on the build. I have progressed to the point where I can start considering options for upgrading the fuel selector provided in the kit to an Andair fuel valve. I am planning to install a Lycoming XIO-360 M1B and am wondering which valve would be most compatible/suitable for this power plant. Would a FS20x7T work or am I better off with a FS 20x20-T? What would be the advantage of one or the other? Thanks to everyone in advance.

QB RV8
Dues paid for 2020

With all the COVID-19 related time on my hands I have had plenty of time to work on the build. I have progressed to the point where I can start considering options for upgrading the fuel selector provided in the kit to an Andair fuel valve. I am planning to install a Lycoming XIO-360 M1B and am wondering which valve would be most compatible/suitable for this power plant. Would a FS20x7T work or am I better off with a FS 20x20-T? What would be the advantage of one or the other? Thanks to everyone in advance.

QB RV8
Dues paid for 2020
I can't help you with which one is best, but I can tell you a couple of things that I learned that may help. I decided to use the FS20x7 in my 14A instead of the one provided by Vans as I like the Left - Right - Off positions better.

Lessons learned....

1. Buying directly from Andair was significantly less than buying from Aircraft Spruce. They quote 3-4 weeks delivery, and that was about right. I was in no hurry.

2. When you order, be careful about which fittings you order! On the second page of the Andair order form you select your fittings. I needed two 90 degree fittings but I ordered straight ones. Costly, time consuming mistake!

3. If you're going to change the valve make sure you consider the position of the fittings on the new valve and make sure they'll work in your installation. In my case it wasn't an issue as we had purchased a complete fuel line kit from Aircraft Specialties and it was custom made for this particular valve.

Good luck!

Andair filter choice?

Any thoughts on the standard (62 micron) vs the 10 micron option?

How is access in the wing root on a -7 for maintenance of a two filter system?

Does anyone have experience with either setup?

Cheers

Recreation and education. Yup, that?s what I?m doing.

I discussed my options for fuel valves with Lycoming tech support and now have a better working understanding of the fuel system and how it relates to the different fuel selector valve options. The power plant that I intend to use (XIO-360 M1B) will not require the dual valves of the Andair FS 20x20 since the return lines will be largely necessary to scavenge fuel vapors and will not be moving any significant quantity of fuel into one tank versus another. Therefore, the three way FS 20x7T valve would be appropriate.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Ryan Dodde
RV8 QB

I am running the YIO-360 M1B and am using the optional 10 micron filter that attaches to the Andair fuel pump. Relatively easy to inspect if you make provisions during the install. I have had no problems in 350 hrs. and have found little to no debris. The fuel servo screen has always been clean.

Last edited:
Ryan, the FS20x7T valve will be fine. As stated by others, youmight be able save alittle $$ by ordering direct from Andair. Vans sells the valve configured wiht the 2 EF20 elbows. Yes you can move them around. We've plumbed a bunch of RV8's and most of them are NOT the same.

Tom

I wonder of Andair is operating...I ordered a fitting from them on March 31 and I haven't heard form them at all. Usually it gets shipped fairly quickly but takes time to get over here.

I sent an email asking what the status was and still haven't gotten a reply.

Gregg---I've found that most of the time I have to call. On occasion, Ive had to get a client of mine thats near Andair to go over there and check on them.

Tom

Back