What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Half Raven Install

KHeidorn

Well Known Member
I installed the half Raven inverted oil system a couple of weeks ago. I had been avoiding aerobatics until I installed this. The system works really well. No more oil coming out the breather and going down the belly.

The install was not too difficult, just had to figure out were to mount the can and route the oil return line. I put the can on the left side of the engine mount and I ran the return line along the left side of the engine, across the front, to the drain in the right front corner of the sump.

To install the supplied fitting into the sump, I had to remove the exhaust and intake pipe. I didn't get a picture of the fitting.

The drain line needs to slope down. Don't want high and low spots. A smooth slope will help the oil drain back to sump.

Fabricated a tab to attach an Adel clamp.

The original breather line gets modified.

I bought the half Raven with the hardware kit from Raven. I had to supply the breather hose, exhaust gaskets, intake gasket, and some Adel clamps.

Probably have about $850 invested along with 10 hours of labor.

Ken and all,

We just finished up beta testing the hose lengths and routing for the Half Raven installations for those builders who are looking for a pre built hose installation package. We utilize our Firesleeved Combi Conductive Teflon Hoses. We include all the hardware, adel clamps, AN fittings, and pre assembled hoses for the Half Raven installation.

The cost of the hose/fittings kit is $699.95 if you have a standard Avstar Servo, and $789.95-$799.95 if you have an FM150 servo. The reason is that the FM150 servo requires a different configuration servo to Spider hose to give clearance on the routing for the Half Raven oil lines.

Half Raven Tank with included AN fittings. -12 fittings on top and side, and -10 sump return hose and fitting on bottom

Half%20Raven%202.jpg

Overflow -12 Combi Teflon line with drain fitting

Half%20Raven%206.jpg

Top of tank with -12 AN Fittings

Half%20Raven%201.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job. I just got my half Raven kit delivered and hoping to install it next week. Wondering about the return line routing and was looking at Jared Solomon's install which has the routing around the outside of the exhaust tubes:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=174074&page=2

Did you know if there are any pros and cons for either one or is it just a wash?

We route our hose outside the exhaust tubes in our standard configuration. This is due to the fact that we support a multitude of different hose configurations on the FWF, and this routing helps to minimize the possibility of interference with other hoses. Utilizing the outboard routing, we have a minimum of 1/2" clearance from the cowling on the oil line. However, if a builder wanted to do that hose differently and give us custom dimensions, we would be happy to modify it.

Half%20Raven%204.jpg

Last edited:
Back