What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6A Step Alternative?

Or

..... plastic folding one foot tall step stool Walmart, small piece of rope, climb up, on , in plane pull up on rope put stool in baggage area.

Installing steps after the build

Could a access hole be cut into the baggage floor to install the step and them make to cover for the hole. It could then become an inspection port.

If I were to do it all over, I would remove the flange from the vans step and weld up a flange to a tube and mount that in the fuselage. The Vans step would then slide into the fuselage tube and be secured with a locking pin through the baggage floor. That way the steps could be removed for speed or maintenance (cracking) as needed.

If you don't already have steps, they aren't difficult to install but it is a bit of a tedious job. The step kit comes with all the hardware you need, including steel and aluminum pop rivets, along with solid rivets, should you decide you want solids in the steel flange.

You'll want to prime and paint the steps prior to installation. The tube that goes under the baggage floor only needs primer. Be sure to trim off some metal on the bottom corners for proper fit.

If I were to do it all over, I would remove the flange from the vans step and weld up a flange to a tube and mount that in the fuselage. The Vans step would then slide into the fuselage tube and be secured with a locking pin through the baggage floor. That way the steps could be removed for speed or maintenance (cracking) as needed.

This is an excellent idea, I have found steps corrode and are difficult to paint properly. Making them removable would make it much easier to address any rust.

Back