What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ontario to California and return

Ivan Kristensen

Well Known Member
Three of my "Bucket List" RV-10 flying items got checked off on this recent trip. They were #1. Fly by the Mount Rushmore monument, #2. was the fly by the famous "Mittens" buttes near the Monument Valley airport (UT25) and land at that airport and #3 was the visit Yosemite Natl. Park in California.

West%20coast%20routing%202018-XL.jpg

Mount%20Rushmore2-XL.jpg

Mount%20Rushmore1-XL.jpg

P1060303-XL.jpg

P1060328-XL.jpg

P1040265-XL.jpg

Rapid City SD.

It would be difficult fly a two week 5000mi. trip without something not going quite right. Out first "hick-up" was with Customs in Rochester MN. Turns out that due to a staffing issue in Rochester they had to send an officer from Minneapolis and for that they charged me an "overtime" charge of $121.00 even though it was during regular business hours.

The only other problem we encountered was a flat main wheel tire in Page AZ. The tire simply went flat overnight so no damage to the wheel pant, luckily a local mechanic had a new inner-tube in stock and had it fixed in short order.

We had a great time in Rapid City visiting the sites incl. Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, The Black Hills, Custer Natl. Park and the Bad Lands.

P1060053-XL.jpg

Needles-XL.jpg

P1060151-XL.jpg

P1040127-XL.jpg

When exiting the park we saw this beautiful animal.
P1040130-XL.jpg

On departure from Rapid City we got permission to do several Fly-by's of Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse.
Mount%20Rushmore2-XL.jpg

Inspirational!

Thanks for sharing Ivan. Very inspirational...I'm working on an RV-10 QB. Just joined the tail to fuselage and working on cargo door area.
I'd like to visit those same places.
Scott

Great stuff, Ivan! Very inspiring! I am working on an RV-14A QB and hope to be following in your footsteps soon. Until now, I've never had a plane anyone would want to steal but I have pondered how I'll feel about leaving a nice RV on the ramp at an unfamiliar field. I am curious about your experience, do you take any special precautions to keep your baby safe while on a long trip?

Thanks again for sharing your great photos!

Keep building!

Thanks for sharing Ivan. Very inspirational...I'm working on an RV-10 QB. Just joined the tail to fuselage and working on cargo door area.
I'd like to visit those same places.
Scott

Keep pounding those rivets Scott, the reward awaits you! I finished mine in June of 2010 and now have 1140 hrs on it. The RV-10 is a great traveling machine....

Ramp security?

Great stuff, Ivan! Very inspiring! I am working on an RV-14A QB and hope to be following in your footsteps soon. Until now, I've never had a plane anyone would want to steal but I have pondered how I'll feel about leaving a nice RV on the ramp at an unfamiliar field. I am curious about your experience, do you take any special precautions to keep your baby safe while on a long trip?

Thanks again for sharing your great photos!

As a rule I will choose an airport with an approach (I fly IFR) an FBO with services and access to rental cars. as such, these airports are generally well secured and have tie-down spots available. In these situations I have never felt that my airplane was at risk, at least in Canada and the USA. However, if you plan to fly into Mexico and the Caribbean security is another matter.

I have flown into Mexico once and the Caribbean numerous times and so far with no problem but I believe the risk is higher.

Monument Valley (UT25)

When I visited this place 10 year ago I promised myself that some day I would come back and fly in among these gigantic buttes and land at this airport. This was a "Bucket List" item for me and what a fantastic experience it was. The sheer beauty of this magical place is nothing short of breathtaking.

P1060302-XL.jpg

P1060303-XL.jpg

P1060310-XL.jpg

P1060319-XL.jpg

Because of the mountain south of the field you must land on Rwy 16 and take off on 34. Rwy 16 is slightly uphill to help slow you down.
UT25%20Monument%20valley2-XL.jpg

P1060328-XL.jpg

This is looking at the vertical wall at the end of Rwy 16.
P1060329-XL.jpg

Another view.
P1060337-XL.jpg

Returning to the city of Page AZ.
P1060362-XL.jpg

P1060366-XL.jpg

Impressive! Thanks for writeup Ivan. Sorry to hear about your border crossing experience sometimes one gets tangled in the system I have my share too.

Those pictures of Mt Rushmore came out very good. I did a coast-to-coast run couple weeks ago we approached the Heads by the end of the day from the East. Very poor visibility toward the sun.

That parking by the red rocks at Monument Valley looks spectacular. Next time take a picture from the other side too. There is a Indian dwelling behind the fence and a butte far away makes a nice scene.

Ha, I saw your RV 10 along with another while you were in Page. Even saw it getting towed back out to the tie-downs Glad you had a great trip! I've been blessed to fly around southern Utah for the last few months, simply amazing.

Flat tire..

Ha, I saw your RV 10 along with another while you were in Page. Even saw it getting towed back out to the tie-downs Glad you had a great trip! I've been blessed to fly around southern Utah for the last few months, simply amazing.

Yes I had an issue with a flat tire while I was there. It just went flat overnight, the reason was that the inner tube developed a leak where the valve stem intersects with the tube. I am sure glad that it happen there and not at the Monument Valley airport the next day.

P1060201-XL.jpg

P1060203-XL.jpg

Slime in time...

Ivan,
Thanks for posting, a very frustrating find for sure.
Years ago it happened to me in the heart of the Idaho back-country on a remote USFS dirt strip (U72) in my RV4. Not a great place for field repairs, for certain.
I was able to build a lever from a tree limb and lift the gear, place a rock underneath and remove the tire and tube. Back then I carried a bike tire repair kit and hand pump which did the trick.
From then on I have carried a small electric pump and Slimed my tires (like my Mountain Bike) and have never had another flat in the wilderness, or anywhere else for that matter.

I know this wouldn't have helped you but others reading these might take note...:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKlS7I-gwW4

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Tire brake??

I was able to build a lever from a tree limb and lift the gear, place a rock underneath and remove the tire and tube. Back then I carried a bike tire repair kit and hand pump which did the trick.

Okay your were able to remove the wheel but how did you get the tire off the two rim halves without a tire brake? Or did you?

Slime and break dancing...

Ivan/Jack

1.Okay, you were able to remove the wheel but how did you get the tire off the two rim halves without a tire brake? Or did you?

Yessir, the way I always have, I place a wooden block under the wheel the size of the rim, and stand on the tire on top doing the "brake dance" till it pops loose.
I used a stump in ID....

2.Have you had any Slime balance issues?
No sir, not so far...

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Yes I had an issue with a flat tire while I was there. It just went flat overnight, the reason was that the inner tube developed a leak where the valve stem intersects with the tube. I am sure glad that it happen there and not at the Monument Valley airport the next day.

P1060201-XL.jpg

Hey, you were parked behind me!

I feel bad I was not around to help but glad you got everything taken care of. I wish we could have been around the marina and taken you for a ride. We actually went up the lake and went to some canyons we have not visited since we were teenagers.

We ran into some problems ourselves. Water got in the fuel on the boat, most likely from Dangling Rope. We were touring Escalante River and one engine would not start after lunch and then the other quit a little later. The last time this happened a mechanic had a fuel pressure meter and was able to drain the fuel rails where there was quite a bit of water.
We were stranded in the channel for a couple of hours and luckily received a tow to a beach for the night. I was able to clear it out after a few hours of messing with it. We still had a great day.

Looks like an awesome trip touring around the US. We need to come to Canada and see it all, especially the northeast. I have not spent much time up there.
Thanks for all the pictures Ivan. Hopefully we will see you soon.

Canada visit

Hey, you were parked behind me!

Looks like an awesome trip touring around the US. We need to come to Canada and see it all, especially the northeast. I have not spent much time up there.

Now that I look at this picture I see the tail of your airplane, how could I have missed it? I'll have to confess that I didn't notice it that day I guess I was so focused on my problem that I didn't pay attention the planes around me.

Yes Scott you need to come and visit us here in Canada. I would love to be able to return the great hospitality you showed my Wife and my Sister and I back in 2011 when we visited Salt Lake.

Ottawa, our nations capital, is a great city to visit and Quebec City is not to be missed. The CN Tower in down town Toronto is not too far from here and of course Niagara Falls, both can be seen close up from a light airplane.

Image00216-XL.jpg

Image00226-XL.jpg

Image00206-XL.jpg

Image00225-XL.jpg

RV traveler extaordinaire

Impressive! Thanks for writeup Ivan. Sorry to hear about your border crossing experience sometimes one gets tangled in the system I have my share too.

Those pictures of Mt Rushmore came out very good. I did a coast-to-coast run couple weeks ago we approached the Heads by the end of the day from the East. Very poor visibility toward the sun.

That parking by the red rocks at Monument Valley looks spectacular. Next time take a picture from the other side too. There is a Indian dwelling behind the fence and a butte far away makes a nice scene.

Vlad, I have been following your travels for several years, your exploits to places and lands far beyond are an inspiration to all of us. Keep it up we love reading about your adventures.

Back