What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ph Aviation Flap Actuator

Blowfly

Has anyone installed the Ph Aviation flap actuator in an RV4? The internal limit switches and built in flap position output are appealing. I understand that the unit is not a "drop in" replacement and I am looking for any advice on installation and overall opinions on the product.
Thanks in advance for any replies....

Send Pat a PM

Just send Pat a PM. I have known him for nearly 30 years, and he has built a -4,-6,-7 and helped many others. He has surely got the answers and is always willing to help. I also have built a -4, and worked on many others, so there are some variations in the -4 systems if not the "factory" set-up.

Thanks for the kind words, Bill! Great hearing from you.

I do not know of anyone having installed one of our actuators in an RV-4 yet. I was waiting to see if anyone checked in with some info. Having built and flown an RV-4 with electric flaps, I see no reason why our actuator cannot be adapted to the -4, but wanted to hear from anyone who has tried it.

As soon as we know of anyone, we'll post it here.

Thanks Bill and Pat.

Looks like someone needs to try out the actuator on a 4, so I will give it some careful consideration when I return to the interior plumbing, wiring, etc. in a few months time. if it looks like a workable mod, (I have already fitted my electric flap system) I will post some photos for others to consider.

Thanks again......

By the book...

I also have built a -4, and worked on many others, so there are some variations in the -4 systems if not the "factory" set-up.

The "factory setup" when I built my Four, per the plans was manual flaps, my personal preference.
Not to take anything away from Pat's excellent PH Aviation products...:)

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Me too . . .

Love the manual flaps. I installed the electric flaps, but got tired of fighting with the motor (and I probably just got a bad apple . . . ). IMHO, it is well worth the simplicity to occasionally have to tell someone to "move your foot" once a flight.

Personal preference, electric flaps and electric elevator trim were two of the best mods i ever made to my 4. Doing a go around with my manual flap setup was a nightmare and electric flaps made everything so much better plus cleans up the interior.

Back