What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear leg fairing fit

NYTOM

Well Known Member
Have completed my gear leg fairings using the wood stiffener?s underneath but now I?ve read some conflicting info on the proper fit. :confused: One camp claims they have them snug and tight and thev?ve flown For hundreds of hours with no issues. The other camp claims you should not use the stiffeners and keep the fairings real sloppy for clearance and to prevent cracking. Is this a personal preference thing? Seems like there should be only one way to do it correctly. Hope I?m right.:rolleyes:

Attach the stiffeners per the instructions on the rear of the gear legs. Then, mount the fairings over the stiffeners and seal the aft edges by fibreglas, hinge or strong tape. If there is any vibration or movement during flight, just shoot some expanding foam inside the fixtures.

What I did

I built a -4, same basic gear as you have. I installed the wood stiffeners on both the front and back of the gear leg, bedded in proseal and then wrapped with fiberglass. My fairings are pretty tight to the stiffener shape, and I applied teflon paint to the inside of the fairings so they would not chafe on the stiffeners. Some have used the spray foam as mentioned, but if you do that, be sure everything is 100% water tight, as there have been some seriously corroded gear legs that were not painted well and had water trapped. I have over 350 hrs. on mine and no cracks or wear marks. The gear does a lot of flexing, and the fairings are retained at the top by the clamped tabs, but must be able to slip in the wheel pant fairing at the bottom.

The gear does a lot of flexing, and the fairings are retained at the top by the clamped tabs, but must be able to slip in the wheel pant fairing at the bottom.

Thanks Bill I wondered about the flexing and sliding where the pant and leg meet.
I like that Teflon paint idea. Otherwise there going to be a lot of fiberglass dust and wear down there.

Back