What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bendix magneto types

hcccs

Well Known Member
Where do I find a list of the different Bendix magneto types. I have one S4LN-21 with part number 10-51360-26. It has impulse coupling but what engine is it for?

Mags

Lycoming parts catalog will give the mag pn for each engine model. Spruce catalog or website also has info. I will try to find further info and post tomorrow.

Mag

The base 10-51360(without the dash number) fits Continental C85 thru C90 and Lycoming 0 235 thru 0 360.
Referring to the Bendix parts list the only difference for the two digit dash number appears to be the lag angle of the impulse. The -26 is for the four cylinder Continental.
Spruce only gives a partial listing of impulse lag angles. The larger the engine and the higher the compression the greater the lag angle. 0 320 is 25 degree lag, 0 360 is 35 on the Spruce list.
What engine do you have and is the compression stock or modified? The impulse couplings were $400 plus a couple of years ago, probably a lot more now.
I don't know if its practical to change the lag angle of the impulse coupling. I'm not sure what lag angle I have on my 0 320 with 10-1 pistons. It works perfect, starts on the second blade, never any kickback. Kickback would be the main concern on 0 360.

Impulse

There are three part numbers for the impulse body and cam assembly. So it would be impractical to modify the impulse as those are the main components of the impulse.
Aircraft Spruce shows a generic parts list that covers all S4 mags. Except for the impulse there are very few parts that are not common to all S4 magnetos.
One example that is not generic is the breaker cover which is the plate that the p lead. One variant apparently has a connection for electric tach. Some have vent holes some do not.

Back