What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Digital Plans and Build Manual

jlbpropilot

Hello, Is it acceptable practice to ask if someone can email me the plans and builders manual for the RV8. I am working on a project and the plans are pre 2000. Looks like they may have been updated numerous times since their original published date. Thanks.

Vans will sell you a USB with all the latest plans/manuals for something like $15. Definitely worth having!

That being said, if you are working on an older plane you kind of need the original plans as well. A lot of things changed. Our plane was built in 1999, and I've found different part designs, different hole patterns etc... Ordering replacement airframe parts can be kind of crapshoot.

DEM

Thanks for the input. I was able to get the $10 thumb drive on the way. Didn't realize I could have the files printed by my local printer without any copyright issues. Problem solved.

... I would think that it would violation of Van's copyright ...
What copyright is that? I could find no copyright notice on the covers of my RV-8A plans' Construction Manual or Construction Drawings. IANAL but without a copyright notice, I am free to reproduce them.

What copyright is that? I could find no copyright notice on the covers of my RV-8A plans' Construction Manual or Construction Drawings. IANAL but without a copyright notice, I am free to reproduce them.

Everything is copyrighted unless explicitly put in the public domain.

All I can say is when I ordered the USB drive they suggested I take the files i wanted to my local printing shop and have them printed in whatever size I preferred. Not an attorney, just a dumb ol farmer but to me that means no copyright protection.

I think it means they gave you permission to have them printed. ( I also think that copyright law allows you to make copies of purchased works for your personal use, but I haven't stayed in a hotel lately.)

I could find no copyright notice on the covers of my RV-8A plans' Construction Manual or Construction Drawings. Without a copyright notice, I am free to reproduce them.

Wrong! The copyright symbol is optional for works created after March 1, 1989, but is generally required for works created before that date.

Everything is copyrighted unless explicitly put in the public domain.

Correct.

When I ordered the USB drive they suggested I take the files i wanted to my local printing shop and have them printed in whatever size I preferred. To me that means no copyright protection.

Wrong! The the plans are fully protected. As a courtesy to customers, Van's is allowing you to print copies for your own use.

I also think that copyright law allows you to make copies of purchased works for your personal use.

Not true. The decision to allow you to make copies is totally up to the copyright holder.

Back