What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

38" tall sawhorse

echozulu

Well Known Member
Page 10-7 wants me to put the tailcone on two sawhorses at least 38" high.

I went forward through the plans, but I can't tell why this is required. The only 38" sawhorses I could find did not have good reviews. Is there any reason I can't use a 32" sawhorse that's more commonly available?

EDIT: I figured out the reason, the plans want you to assemble the tailcone upside down. I think I'm just going to go with a 32" sawhorse and lay under it during assembly.

Last edited:
It isn't difficult to build or modify sawhorses to whatever height is needed.......

Last edited:
I agree, however I don't really have any scrap wood lying around to boost the height of the sawhorse I'm going to buy, and if I can buy a 38" saw horse then it saves me the trouble of doing the modification myself.

And if the only purpose is to be able to assemble the tailcone upside down, just assembling it right side up seems easier than going out to buy 2x4s to modify the saw hose.

I did get the (adjustable-height, including) 38" they recommend, from Home Depot if I remember correctly.

Why modify anything? Just build one from this bracket kit and 2x4's. You can build it whatever height you need. Actually, you ought to build a pair of them to use as a table someday. They stack together nicely.

hdx-saw-horses-sh107-76_1000.jpg

Mirror the comments on getting the HomeDepot adjustable sawhorses. Not too expensive and found the adjustable height useful when dimpling larger skins.

Granted, if you already have some sawhorses, get a few pieces of 2x4 cutoffs (or whatever scrap you have around) and stack them on top of your sawhorses to lift the tailcone. Having an assortment of scrap lumber can be quite helpful throughout the build anyway! There are always a number of ways to solve a problem :)

Back