What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Routing GPS Antenna Wire through Dash?

gfb

Well Known Member
I'm looking to put the XM and a pair of puck GPS antennas on my dash for the G3X screens. Any pointers or pictures on how you routed the wire? I'd like to avoid drilling a 5/8" hole for each to get the connectors through.

Do people cut of the connector, route the wire, then re-crimp?

I just drilled one hole, that was large enough to fit them both through (one at a time), and then used a snap bushing for wire protection. I have a faux-leather mat with a slit cut in it for the wires covering the glareshield so the hole isn't visible.

Chris

Last edited:
I cut off the connectors for a smaller hole and then spliced them back on. This is NOT recommended by the manufacturer but if you know how to splice shielded cable properly and are handy with a soldering iron you can get away with it.

Another way to make it look good is to cut the hole the size you need to pass the then use a piece of wide srickyback fuzzy velcro with a slit in it to cover hole and allow the cables to pass through. Bonus is a place to Velcro pencils and pens ( or the antennas).

I ordered new crimp-on connectors and will cut the existing ones off, route and re-crimp. Will let you know how it goes.

I have defrost fans in the glare shield. The gps wires exit next to the grills through small holes which are slotted into the fan openings.
Stewart Willoughby, 6 panel/wiring

I have defrost fans in the glare shield. The gps wires exit next to the grills through small holes which are slotted into the fan openings.
Stewart Willoughby, 6 panel/wiring

Mind posting some pics?

Another option

On my glareshield, I drilled holes directly under the antennas, and then made the hole just slightly oblong to where the antenna cable goes through the glareshield right after exiting the antenna. The visible hole on the glareshield from the top is almost not visible.

Here is an extra tip. I slid the plastic BNC connector cover off of the BNC connector and then cut it off. This allowed for a smaller hole size for routing the BNC connector without having to cut the wire.

Back