What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator control stick play

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
We have a small amount of play in both our control sticks in the fore/aft direction. It isn't much, maybe 1/4" at the grips, and it's consistent for both pilot and copilot. I was told by one experienced pilot that this play was going to screw with me over time and it needs to be tightened up.

I tracked the problem down to the fit between the brass bushing that goes between the base of the sticks and the bar that connects the sticks to the elevator pushrod. There is a slight amount of play between the OD of the bushing and the ID of the welded-on steel tube at the base of the stick. Without having a new custom-fitted and machined bushing made I cannot see an immediate solution to the problem.

Is this play just a feature of RV-10s? Should I tighten it up somehow?

I ended up machining a new bushing as have many others. That's the only way to get rid of the play. And yes, it will drive you nuts until you do....... Find a friend with a lathe

This is a well known, long-standing issue on the 2-seat RV's as well. I'm surprised that Van's hasn't tightened up their tolerance in this area over the years but the fact that they haven't suggests that they don't see that play as a major problem.

It is not a major problem and it doesn't cause a flight qualities issue (I don't recall any test / flight review pilot ever mentioning it in their evaluation report, but maybe I have forgotten).

It is something that is inherent to all the RV models (except the RV-14), except on the RV-4 and 8 it adds some system play in the roll direction instead of the pitch direction.

Because it is understood that even though it generally isn't noticeable, it is less than idea from a design aspect, when the RV-14 was designed, bearings were incorporated into this location of the control system.

1/4" play at the top of the stick does sound excessive though and probably warrants redoing. A typical new installation is usually less than 1/8".

Just curious

if thin brass shim stock or a dab of JB Weld on the outside of the bushing/inside of the weldment would be a kosher solution to the slop?

if thin brass shim stock or a dab of JB Weld on the outside of the bushing/inside of the weldment would be a kosher solution to the slop?
Hey Bill, I wonder how many listers know who your avatar is...I do, and I used to watch that show as a kid.

I?m wondering if maybe Vans fixed this issue because I just completed this step last week and the bushing fit quite snug in the base. In fact I had to convince it to go in that last little bit with a plastic tip hammer.

Dave

I wrapped mine with that aluminum tape used for duct work until it fit good.

Hmmm...

So you wrapped a brass bushing with aluminum tape and put it inside a steel weldment? Isn't the point of the brass bushing to give a greater bearing surface as the control stick base pivot tube rotates around it as depicted in section 39-8?

It would seem that wrapping that bushing with a MUCH softer metal for a steel tube to rotate and bear on would be problematic...

So you wrapped a brass bushing with aluminum tape and put it inside a steel weldment? Isn't the point of the brass bushing to give a greater bearing surface as the control stick base pivot tube rotates around it as depicted in section 39-8?

It would seem that wrapping that bushing with a MUCH softer metal for a steel tube to rotate and bear on would be problematic...

It will probably eventually wear,,,,,,,sometime in my lifetime. Then it just gets sloppy again. The welding process will distort the inside of the tube the bushing fits in. The best solution is for the stick fabricators to ream the inside of the tube back to size after welding fabrication, and for Vans to provide correct diameter bushings for the reamed holes. I have found that most of the Van's fabricated parts receive little clean-up. Now that I have a metal lathe, I would ream the inside of the tube and turn a custom bushing.

I?m wondering if maybe Vans fixed this issue because I just completed this step last week and the bushing fit quite snug in the base. In fact I had to convince it to go in that last little bit with a plastic tip hammer.

Dave

Disregard my last post. I just checked today and I also have about 1/8? of play.

Back