What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Medium Canopy Tint ???

jj_jetmech

Well Known Member
Vans has 3 canopy tints available for the 6,7 etc....CLR, light smoke (79% FAR Certified limit) and a Medium smoke 56%. If you do not specify when you order a finish kit you will get light smoke.. Which looks really light almost clear... Anyone flying the medium smoke? How dark is it? Any night or glare issues? Awaiting a sample from Airplane Plastics... Input appreciated!

Thanks.

Last edited:
A word of caution if you intend to fly at night. At night a little tint goes a long way. I had a pretty strong tint on my Moni Motorglider because I didn't intend to fly at night even though I had all the necessary equipment IAW 91.205.

Late one afternoon I stayed in the pattern until sundown. When the sun "sat" the canopy immediately looked like someone had painted it black. I could just make out the runway lights. When I landed and opened the canopy, it was barely dusk.

Medium

I have the medium smoke from Todds canopys. Wasn't available through Vans at the time.

I don't fly much at night but have not noticed a big difference when I did,... actually never thought much about it since first flight until this post. Certainly not enough to make up for what I gain in sun block. You still will need sunshades but it makes a positive difference to me.

Would do it again and probably go one shade darker. You can get sample pieces from Todds if you call and ask them. Mine were free but I bought the canopy from them.

Medium Tint

My experience is the same as Bill. The medium was not available back in 2004 when I was building 9db so I bought the canopy direct from Todd. I do not fly much at night but when I have it has not even been noticeable. I was also concerned about the level of tint when the aircraft was scheduled for the inspection by the Feds prior to the first flight--until the inspector arrived in his experimental aircraft---with windows many times darker than mine!!!!

Cheers,

db

I have the medium smoke from Todds canopys. Wasn't available through Vans at the time.

Would do it again and probably go one shade darker. You can get sample pieces from Todds if you call and ask them. Mine were free but I bought the canopy from them.

Interesting, I called Todd he told me he does not make a Canopy for the 7... Maybe he did at one time, I'll have to call him again and clarify.

Thanks

Back