What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-10 QB Kit Owner

jeffwhip

Well Known Member
Well, it's official. I just purchased an RV-10 QB kit (Fuselage & wings) as well as the empennage. I also attended a 2 day basic metal class and am looking forward to taking delivery of my kit later this month! I'll probably be posting with a lot of questions!

Arizona RV10 builders

Good luck Jeff.

There are at least 2 RV10 builders in Phoenix that I know of that I am sure can help when needed. I live in Tucson, just finished mine and started flying in early July. Mine was also a quick build. I will send you my contact info in a PM. Call if you need any help.

I will definitely contact you and would love to get the names of other RV-10 builders in Phoenix.

Have fun :)

As Mike S said, slow and steady wins the race.

Best bits of advice I had:

1. Do something every day even if it is reading
2. Try to keep the build as close to plans as you can as modifications take a lot of time.
3. Set yourself up in advance
4. Build as close to home as you can. At home is best. :)

I followed these rules and it took me 3.5 years to first flight. And I loved every minute of it. Enjoy. :D

There are 5 flying RV10's at KFFZ (Mesa Falcon Field). That might be a world record.

Planning on another RV10 nest asada BBQ at Copperstate 14 at Casa Grande.

I believe CState has had as many as a dozen at any one time. Hopefully more this year.

Last edited:
Well, I'm excited! I have my workshop built and my RV-10 was delivered two days ago. I'm going to take everyone's advice and spend the next few weeks inventorying my parts and organizing them so that I can find them when I need them and then see if I can't get some momentum going on the build!

Welcome to the fun, Jeff!

I just started my RV-10 tail kit. The first gotcha comes pretty quickly. Read up on the vertical and horizontal stabilizer ribs. If you just use them as is, you'll put a few dings in your nice new vertical stabilizer skin!

I spent most of the afternoon trying to trim down and flute the ribs to avoid this. More work to do tomorrow.

Good luck!

Thanks for the warning! As soon as I get everything inventoried and organized, I'll be right behind you.

Back