What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DRDT-2 Commercial Dimpler?

jeffwhip

Well Known Member
I am in the process of setting up my workshop. I built two EAA workbenches except I built them with a 6" overhang on the front and sides so that I have room to clamp things down. My question is that I am trying to figure out a way to mount the DRDT-2 between my workbenches so that it is flush with both tables. Can anyone provide me with some ideas?

Don't..

..I didn't mount my DRDT-2 and I'm glad I didn't. this way, when I'm not using it, I put it out of the way. When I am using it on the table, I C-clamp it to the table (another great reason to have an overhang on your tables). Occasionally, I'll use it only a little (i.e. to dimple nutplates or something). in which case, I walk to where it's sitting on the floor and dimple away without having to clamp it anywhere.. My $0.02.

..I didn't mount my DRDT-2 and I'm glad I didn't. this way, when I'm not using it, I put it out of the way. When I am using it on the table, I C-clamp it to the table (another great reason to have an overhang on your tables). Occasionally, I'll use it only a little (i.e. to dimple nutplates or something). in which case, I walk to where it's sitting on the floor and dimple away without having to clamp it anywhere.. My $0.02.

Agree completely. I clamp it to the table when needed, and also made a platform that I can slide around it to provide a surface even with the dimpler; the plans for that are included with it. Now that I barely ever use it, it is out of the way under the bench and I can use it right there to dimple the occasional nutplate, etc.

I failed completely when I tried to build my DRDT-2 dimpling tables per the plans. My tables ended up being several inches too short. Measure twice, cut once!!

However, that mistake drove me to simplify. I ended up building a small shelf that sits between my two tables and has the dimple die pretty much level with the table surface + a bit of carpet to protect the skins. I'll try to take some pics and post them tonight.

I'm really happy with how it turned out although it's a bit Rube-Goldberg'ish?

Pics to follow if I can figure out how to post them.

DRDT-2 integrated into EAA tables

Finished product - You can barely see that the two bench section are held together by two HF clamps which insures that my expensive DRDT-2 doesn't end up as a bent up hunk of steel on the floor:
2527C590-C5B7-4DEF-84F7-D3326AD80DE8_zpsvrqdcbdg.jpg

Bottom View - Platform - Note that 28 1/4" measurement is the total length, not the length of the support 2x4.
50B99428-F91A-46F1-AFDF-C6FC49632593_zps4m96syjz.jpg

Small pieces of 2x4 attached to legs. 7.5" below top surface of bench.
89F4724F-BF05-4D8F-A22C-0F2B3EFC2332_zpsxjsxjphv.jpg

Top View from behind. Note overhang at back of bench to allow head to be aligned with front of table:
f2fe27f9-ce15-4019-98e4-b6cd3dae16e3_zps8a3aec41.jpg

Not a great pic but this should show that the female dimple die is just a bit higher than the carpet.
FA7A1F47-A282-4333-802F-FEB1C344C7C4_zpsuxjv3tup.jpg

Last edited:
I welded a wheeled cart for mine, with two small carpeted tables on each side. The tables are not close to the drdt2. They dont have to be. That allows one to work a box corner into the jaws of the drdt2. In the above pictured table, it will be more difficult if not impossible.

The table installation isn't permanent. It'll only be in that configuration for dimpling skins and long pieces. I can still set it on top of the table and dimple a box corner.

I just wanted and extended platform for handling skins. Having never built an airplane, I might be barking up the wrong tree!

Also note that the dimpler can be slid forward several inches for dimpling ribs, etc…

Slide-In Table Top

The DRDT-2 comes with plans to build a slide-in table that goes over the dimpler and helps support work, just like the benches would in the pics above. It's pretty straightforward to build and supports most of the pieces you'll dimple with ease. However, there were a few times when the skins I was dimpling were too large for this little table, so I had to find other means to support the "far away" end (i.e. a couple of boxes, sitting on top of my table). In these particular instances, it would be nice to have a larger table surface around the dimpler. However, it may be simpler to build a second or third little "slide-in" table- sort of thing than to incorporate the dimpler into your bench(es). Any way you go, you'll love the dimpler.

The table installation isn't permanent. It'll only be in that configuration for dimpling skins and long pieces. I can still set it on top of the table and dimple a box corner.

I just wanted and extended platform for handling skins. Having never built an airplane, I might be barking up the wrong tree!

Also note that the dimpler can be slid forward several inches for dimpling ribs, etc?

I see. That's good. I think you will find you will want the nose slid out a few inches most of the time. Good luck with your build. Its a lot of fun.

Back