What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle linkage bracket

AK-Models

I have bought several mounts for throttle cable linkage (once you bolt between carb/ fuel servo and engines sump) however none of this fit/work as I am installing EFII system.
Question, can throttle cable be attached to the engine mount frame instead of the bracket mounted to the engine? Or will mounting to the engine mount adversely affect throttle responds or consistency of the throttle setting etc.
Picture below shows idea, made bracket will be used at the clamps location
PC130124.jpg

Not a good idea! The engine with move within it?s mounts way more than you might think. IMHO you should abandon this idea. Larry

AK-Models, I am at the same point with my EFII installation. Hope to be spending a little time this evening. Keep me posted on your progress and I will do the same.

This is not acceptable in any way shape or form.
If you can not find a stock mount for the system you are installing, you may have to fabricate one. Post the specifics of your engine model, type of EFII, etc... chances are someone here has been there before.

Recommend moving your oil drain to the other side of the engine to make room for a throttle bracket.

While you are at it, get rid of the pipe nipple and cap oil drain arrangement and install a quick drain valve.

Carl

Throttle Body Rotates

I found that rotating the Throttle Body permitted me to use the existing bracket for securing the Throttle Control. By rotating the Throttle Arm, and then cutting off the excess - Robert says this is OK - it kept all lengths and "throws" the same as the conventional set-up.

From experience installing the EFII system, take a little time, look at what you have and then, ask Robert a LOT of questions. It will work.

My installation took about two weeks of tweaking things to get them exactly the way I wanted, and it has proven to be worth every minute / cent.

I found that rotating the Throttle Body permitted me to use the existing bracket for securing the Throttle Control. By rotating the Throttle Arm, and then cutting off the excess - Robert says this is OK - it kept all lengths and "throws" the same as the conventional set-up.

From experience installing the EFII system, take a little time, look at what you have and then, ask Robert a LOT of questions. It will work.

My installation took about two weeks of tweaking things to get them exactly the way I wanted, and it has proven to be worth every minute / cent.

Do you have a picture of what you are talking about? I would like to fully understand. My project for this evening and tomorrow is to fab a new throttle cable bracket. Sure wish I could have just bolted up the Van's bracket. The price we pay for experimenting.

622BH,

Can you supply more details on your installation? Your approach sounds interesting. Would like to better understand. I spent the weekend trying out several throttle bracket designs. Feel free to contact me directly. 3six1-6four9-2zero5zero.

I am looking for an O-360 updraft throttle bracket. If you bout one of these and do not intent to use it, I will buy it.

+1 for NO!

The sheath tube of the cable should be attached to the engine so it will move with the engine at the same rate and distance as the engine. If you do this as you show it you will not like the lack of good throttle control and may break the cable free at the sheath or at the cable end when the movement goes past its limits.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Can't tell from your photo if this setup would work but I think it will. The anodized parts came from Don Rivera at AFP. I made the others out of 1/8" thick aluminum angle. I've since swapped exhaust for the Trombone version and removed the phenolic spacer on the bottom of the sump.

ijHbTMCh.jpg

My throttle linkage for the EFII

I finally reinstalled the EFII throttle body. This is definitely the way to do it. I took the advice of 622BH and rotated the throttle body 180 degrees. This allowed throttle cable to come down the right side of the throttlebody. The throttle cable goes right down Vans original location. Following the original plans makes life a lot easier. The modification that I had to make was to the throttle body arm. The throttle cable had to connect to the top side of the throttle body arm instead of the traditional bottom side. In the cockpit I wanted the throttle lever to move the traditional distance from idle to full. To do this the distance from the point the cable connects to the throttle arm to the center of the pivot must be kept the same as the original. I did shorten it by 1/8" to gain a little clearance to the bottom of the sump. Without the shortening the arm there was 1/8" clearance between the Heim bearing and the bottom of the sump. This would probably be fine but I added the additional 1/8" to now have a clearance of 1/4" I will supply the drawing of the arm to Robert Paisley. Maybe it will be a kit option. I torqued all bolts to 180 in-lbs, applied Loctite and torque seal. Now I can measure the length of the throttle cable and get it on order.

FP15022017A0007O.jpg

FP15022017A0007P.jpg

FP15022017A0007Q.jpg

Good Work Paul

Paul,
Looks like my photos helped you very nicely. That should permit you to route the control cable exactly per the plans. That control plate looks nice.
Congratulations on getting that set up and best of luck on getting the airplane flying soon.

Back