VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-28-2012, 08:03 PM

Default RV-9 to 14

14 builders .I currently am building a 9 with the emp complete except for the glass.I am seriously considering going with the 14 because of the room. Flew in a 9 and sat in the 14 at Osh,so much more legroom being 6'3'' 250 lbs.I'm worried about the cost of the 390 a little.Help
Old 12-28-2012, 09:20 PM

Seems like the -14 is made for tall guys with long arms AND deep pockets!

CJ

Maybe install a low compression 540???
Old 12-28-2012, 09:22 PM

Smile Build what you will fly.....

Don't build what you want....build what you will fly. I've seen lots of folks build more airplane and buy more house than they will ever use. Can't fill it with furniture and can't fly it without $6 a gallon 100LL ($6 for now)

I'd much rather fly my 7 100 hours a year than have a 14 that only flys 50 hours a year? All things being equal....bigger, faster, more horsepower, younger, etc is usually better but usually things aren't always equal.

If the cost of operation is even a minor worry, you should think hard about just what the extra space is worth to you in flying hours..... the great thing about Vans airplanes are that there is a size for everyone but one size doesn't fill all :-)

Just somthing to consider ....

BillSchlatterer@sbcglobal.net
Dues Paid 2/11/18 for 2018
Old 12-29-2012, 12:54 AM

Default -9A Mod

Is your -9A a tip-up, or a slider canopy?
The reason I ask is that if you are building a slider, you might consider looking at Allan Nimmo's [Anti-Splat Aero] mod called the "Almost 14 mod".

I sat in his -9A Slider with the mod, and it makes a BIG difference for bigger guys. As you might guess, Allan is not a tiny guy, and neither am I.

The mod works on Slider versions only, due to the differences in the canopy locking mechanism on the Tip-Up.
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2018 Donation Plus, Gladly Sent
Old 12-29-2012, 10:16 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

The question that I would ask is "do you envision making long cross-countries?" If you are going to spend hours in the cockpit on each leg, cris-crossing the country, then the with of the -14's cockpit will be a huge plus. Folks that haven't actually sat in the -14 don't understand that it isn't just built for tall people - it is built for WIDE people....and I really mean wide at the shoulder (although some need a little waist room as well...). The Anti-Splat mod doesn't make the cockpit any wider....the actual -14 does!

If all you're going to do with your RV is fly 1 - 2 hour legs or local flying, then the smaller cockpits are just fine. If you are smallish, then the smaller RV's work great. Obviously, we have all used them for years doing all sorts of flying. But once You have flown the -14 and realize that you actually aren't pressed shoulder to shoulder with your companion, it begins to make a lot of sense.

Yup - engine cost is a big consideration - we'll have to see how that shakes out!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 12-29-2012, 10:25 AM

Put a single center seat in your -9

Kidding aside - if you know you will have a passenger most of the time, and most flights will be long, then side-by-side space may be an issue. But, a lot of RV pilots spend most of their flight time solo.

It very much is a personal call.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
Kidding aside - if you know you will have a passenger most of the time, and most flights will be long, then side-by-side space may be an issue. But, a lot of RV pilots spend most of their flight time solo.It very much is a personal call.
I see this often written. Yet, out here in the "scenic" mountain west, most of the enjoyment is taking a passenger on scenic flights. This is what I almost always done. It's what my friends do. Most flights have never been single. For anything but short hops..........I'd have been bored silly, not to share the experience with someone else.

And yes, a 14 would be great, considering the shoulder room I had in the 6.

L.Adamson
Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
It's very much a personal call.
I'm at the other end of the spectrum with perhaps 99.5% solo time.

Long flights with insufficient space might be the real concern. For local an short "ish" flights, it's easier to manage with less space.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 AM

Default Height

At 6' 3" you should not have much problem. I'm still 6' 5" and do fine, but I put my feet in front, or to the side, of the rudder pedals. My brother in law comes along sometimes, and he is 6' 7" and long in the body. He simply takes out the booster cushion. I do plan to put in the anti-splat seat modification to give myself more head room. But 250 pounds might limit the passenger weight and/or fuel and baggage, to stay under a 1750 pound gross weight.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:35 AM

Newer is almost always better....or so you think. Doesn't matter if you're talking planes, cars or houses. But also need to be okay with whatever decision you make. Balance in life is important.

The 14 sounds like it will go together quicker due to new style instruction and delivered components. This will also cost more.

The 9 will be cheaper...heck the difference between a 320 & 390 could easily be $10000. Add in Catto vs Hartzell C/S prop is another 5k. So pick your poison.

I have a 7, I am 6' 250# and I went to OSH with a 5'10" 200# friend...no problems. I have a 2" booster under my CAD sportsman seat. Head and leg room is never an issue, because I planned for it. When I travel with my wife, we don't even worry about CG....well to be honest we've only filled it to the seat rails once(85#).

Newer is better...but my luck 1/2 way thru a -14 build they would have a -15.