Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraCharlie View Post
My wife has been encouraging me to start work on a homebuilt/experimental aircraft pretty much since we started flying

How do I sign up for one of these?

The art to flying lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:19 PM

Default Hello, Martin.

The great thing about building is that you can have the repairman certificate to do the yearly conditional inspections yourself.
But even if you don't get the repairman certificate, you can still do all your own maintenance. You would just need an A&P to sign off the conditional inspection.

I do all my own maintenance and can sign off my conditional inspection, but being that I didn't build the engine, I usually pay the local A&P $200 to come over for the engine check while I am inspecting the rest of the plane.

When inspecting the wings there are only 6 inspection plates to remove from the bottom of the wing and then the wing root cover. Total time to R&R and inspect would only take one hour.

Kent
Canby, Or
Old 09-07-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Is that a myth or fact?...............
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
There's absolutely nothing with 6061 as long as the aircraft is designed around it. It is slightly not as strong as 2024, but it is MUCH more corrosion resistant and considerably cheaper.

Many 6061 aircraft have been flying in Canada for years, unpainted and stored outside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
That's a fact!
Just to clarify, that is compared to unclad (bare) 2024 vs 6061. That is why 2024 is almost alway clad in AC applications.

Untimate tensile strength of 6061T6 is ~ 42K psi vs 2024T3 is ~62K psi. So you could say 2024 is ~32% stronger in tensile. However, 2024 is harder and more prone to cracking, so that isn't thoe whole story. The designer accounts for the strength of the material in the plan, so the only penalty of 6061 is weight.
RV-6A #20603:Painting and moving to the airport for final assembly. Getting very close!
PP SEL / A&P
N616CG (Reserved)
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec)