- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglassmt View Post
I don't know how you could build an RV-10 for $140k unless you scrimped significantly on everything, AND got the kit used for a deep discount.
Certainly it could be done on 2008 dollars. I scrimped on paint and interior, but nothing else (new engine and prop, full/G ifr panel, autopilot) and spent no more than that.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:07 PM

I would be shocked if a completed 14 would sell for more than $100k. The market for two seaters - even RVs - is soft. As said, that's a bit different than the market for nice 4-seaters like an RV-10.
(Dues paid thru Nov '18)
Old 03-11-2013, 03:09 PM

Since this is a new model and the U.S. economy is changing, you would be carrying a lot more risk than if the economy were stable and the model had some history.

For roughly the same work but to reduce the risk, you might offer some build services to people, or start with an aircraft for which you could at least get all the kits and know what the price of them will be. If you're building a single airplane of a new model, a highly-integrated one, the options for making money would appear to be roughly proportional to the cost of the RV-12 kits compared to what Van's is getting for the fly-away airplane.

Also, if this is the only airplane you're going to do this with, then you'll have to figure in the cost for tools and the shop space. I bet that the hidden costs will surprise you and the ability to sell at a high price will be less than you expect. It might be worth doing a worst-case study of this to see how that looks.

I have noticed that people who have a good reputation and have made a business with RVs, tend to specialize a bit. Think Stein or Vetterman or Paul at Weep No More. They manage to stay in business. Of course, those are businesses, not hobbies.

The moral here is to treat it as a business and plan it with good business sense. It might be a good idea to refer to the rules I posted here - http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=79910 for back-up plans.

Dave
Old 03-11-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupester View Post
I would be shocked if a completed 14 would sell for more than $100k. The market for two seaters - even RVs - is soft. As said, that's a bit different than the market for nice 4-seaters like an RV-10.
+ 1 with Terry. I stick with the RV7A and a sliding canopy. Best all in class ride for sure.
Repeat Offender / Race 007
Friend of the RV-1
Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglassmt View Post
I don't know how you could build an RV-10 for $140k unless you scrimped significantly on everything, AND got the kit used for a deep discount.
Only way to know for sure is build one and sell it.

Let us know how it goes.

Milt Concannon
Old 03-12-2013, 03:17 PM

I'm pretty sure a nicely built RV14 will sell for more than 100K, likely in the 129-149 range as someone here said - Especially if it has a nice glass panel, autopilot, and no bazaar paint job. The RV14 is not all that 'new'. It has a proven wing, proven or improved engineering from a company that has a long history of building well designed kits that all have excellent handling qualities. The RV14 is more main stream than the other 2 seat RVs, and will appeal to a whole new group of pilots that would otherwise not consider an RV because of its 'sporty' image. If you consider other new aircraft you can buy, this price range is near the bottom. The buying public is a lot different than the builder/pilot. Getting 2 or 3 pilot friends to go together to buy an RV14 to replace their spam can - Cessna, Grumman, etc - is certainly likely. I don't think building RVs to sell as a form of income is very lucrative for a typical builder like me, but I think you will not loose money, and if you don't consider your time that important ($), you'll come out ahead.