What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Traveling With Man's Best Friend-RV Style

jetjok

Well Known Member
If a seriously Non RV topic is bothersome to you, please select the "back key" NOW!
I noticed a thread in the classified section for a pair of "Mutt Muffs". While I am sure that some find the prospect of bringing the family pooch along on a trip is somewhat laughable, there are many of us that are just that over the top about our cannine companion(s). It is really not that outlandish, as those who saw Art Scholl fly, will no doubt remember his aerobatic pooch "Aileron". Julie Clark lives near my home aerodrome,and it is not uncommon to see her arrive in a T-28 with a big bark,and her faithful terrier(?) with a not so big bark. Julie's dog was actually sporting "Mutt Muffs"the last time she stopped in. So the question is; what precautions or considerations do people use when flying with their dog?
My wife and I have a Westhighland Terrier, who has been on quite a few aeronautical adventures with us. We discussed this with our vet prior to introducing him to flying and were assured that he would suffer no long lasting effects from flying. Our major concern was his exposure to the noise. We considered Mutt Muffs, but found the using the standard roll up foam ear plugs worked quite well.
Anyway, I wanted to hear from others who may have suggestions for traveling with a dog.

sleeps

On his limited number of flights, my dog sits up and looks out the windows while taxiing and once airborne, he goes to sleep, every time. I have worried about his ears and am thinking that mutt muffs would be the answer. I guess I should get him some. Also interested in suggestions from the experts out there.

great thread topic!

I used to have a Citabria, and have taken two of my past dogs flying in it. Both were 70-lb dogs, and the Citabria allowed pretty easy loading/unloading of the dog. My biggest concern was always that one would somehow foul the controls in the back seat.

Both dogs would watch the ground with interest until about 250 ft alt., then just look around aimlessly, or curl up on the seat and snooz. I used to fly along a steep ridge at 2000 ft that we frequented in sailplanes, and was populated by goats. The dog would eagerly watch the goats go by, pass after pass, and then, once away from the ridge, loose interest.

So, I've been thinking of how to take a big (70 lb) dog in my RV-8.....I would certainly remove the rear stick. But my main worry is getting him in and out without a lot of claw marks on the interior paint, cockpit sill, and I don't want him jumping out and landing on the middle of the wing or flap.

So, please - anyone with experiences good or bad, please tell us about them!

Steve
RV-8 QB FWF, Cowl Hope to fly by thanksgiving.

Love flying with my dog

I have a 1 year old mini schnauzer with about 15 hours total flight time now. He was very nervous the first couple times but since loves to sleep next to me in the 7A. I always put the mutt muffs on. Before flying the first time he also had to wear them around the house until he would not try and remove them. The mutt muffs are pretty good but the dog can still manage to stratch them off over time. I also have a seat belt harness for my dog. Its made for a car obviously but I do strap the lap belt through it. The mini schnauzer is small enough to sit in the seat beside me with the seat belt on and not interfere with the controls. He simply goes to sleep after being airborne for about 10 min. I take him to all sorts for small airports in the middle of nowhere. He loves it and is a great flying partner and looks cool with his "copilot" bandana. When my wife comes along she'll either hold him (still belted in) or we strap him in the baggage compartment. He doesn't like it as much in the back however. We also tend to limit our airtime to 1 hours each direction.

A bigger dog would be more of a challenge. Especially getting in and out without scratching everything. I would suggest covering the wing with a blanket, helping the dog in, and then put the blanket in the baggage compartment (or back seat RV8) so you can use it when it time to get out.

Steve
7A Flying +2 years

Last edited:
Dog flight

I used to fly from AZ to NC regularly with my 75+ lb. German Shepherd in the baggage area of my RV-6. I would help him into the front seat, and then he would squeeze under the back rest support when I folded the seat back forward for him. I used the ear protection for him when I found out about it, but it didn't seem to make much difference to him. He loved flying. He would try to climb up onto the wing and try to jump in by himself if I didn't stop him. Never any problems with control interference or even barking. He would, however, nose me in the back of the head after shutdown, to remind me of his requirements...

It's a good idea to pay a lot of attention to water on long trips. Dehydration happens pretty easily in the back of an RV.

It's a good idea to pay a lot of attention to water on long trips. Dehydration happens pretty easily in the back of an RV.

I agree! We have a couple of suction cup shades to keep the sun out. When we have the dog with us, guess who gets the shades! When we arrive at our destination, a big slurp of water is first on the agenda. So far his longest trip in the RV has been from Cincinnati to Toledo. The last time we taxied into Sporty's people really got a kick out of him with his face hanging out the open canopy in the breeze. Did I mention that like any real aviator he wears tinted goggles when flying? Now that we have the RV in CA, we may try some longer trips.
We have taken Sam (the dog) to Idaho with 3 times now. He is sometimes bothered by loud engines; my wife's Honda scares him, but the Cummins in my Ram does not bother a bit (go figure). So, we obtained a very mild "doggie downer" from our vet which really mellows him out. He looks like the poster dog for that 70's song "Wildwood Weed". Anyway, it makes flying much more tolerable for him, but when we get to where we are going he shows no lasting effects.

I have taken my lab/ridgeback several times. The first time was a riot. She obviously thought it was just another car until we left the ground. Her expression was really amusing. She was very attentive. Now she's used to it. The noise definitely bugs her and she'll often go as far back as she can in my (lurker, sorry) Archer to sleep. The worst thing about it is the hair she leaves. Gets everywhere.

Steve

Man's Best Friend

I am a big fan of a company called Duluth Trading. They are the folks that make the Bucket Boss tool holders. They have a bunch of products tailored to taking pets on trips. One of those products is kind of like a sling or blanket hammock you secure between the front headrests and rear headrests. It doesn't behave like a hammock would (suspened) but more like a throw cover. I have never been dissapointed with a Duluth product.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/gear-shops/recreation/dog/32006CL.aspx?feature=P5806-C46559-L2

Once I'm flying regularly in the RV, my wife and I plan on using it as an SUV with wings. We already plan on having a couple dogs with us. For us, the dogs are members of the family and nearly like our kids. I'm seriously considering training them to wear the old barn-stormer leather helmet and goggles. They even make goggles for dogs called Doggles that can be purchased with tint, etc.

Another topic for fun: go to www.gotillman.com for some doggone fun!

Watch out at fly ins!

I took my Austrailan Shepard flying with me in the Maule. He loved riding in the truck, so I figured that the airplane would be great. We went to a local fly-in / BBQ. A kid at the fly-in was getting a real kick out of feeding my dog left over BBQ sandwiches - and he ate many!

On the way home he got sick. Yaked in the seat until there was nowhere to sit. Then on the floor until there was no where to sit. I had the throttle firewalled and my head out the window as I flew. Couldn't get home fast enough. Landed straight in and shut it down on the runway to let the dog and myself out of the &^$% airplane!

Rest of the afternoon spent with the steam cleaner.

Pets are also on airliners

Hello all,
a lot of pets are travelling in airliner cargo holds. Usually it's in the bulk hold, which is in the back of the plane and can be quite noisy on some older types (MD-80, B737-200).
There does not seem to be any problems with this either from noise or pressurisation.

Our dog has a set of Mutt Muffs

Here is our dog Charlie doing what he does when we fly since getting him Mutt Muffs. Before he had these the noise scared him and most likely hurt his ears. The RV's come in around 98-100db in flight. These are a great product and your dog will be grateful.
CharlieFlight.jpg

So the question is; what precautions or considerations do people use when flying with their dog?

I had a Weimaranr for a short while and I took her into the bush a few times hoping she'd find me lots of deer. Unfortunately she was hopeless in the bush and she was a nervous flyer.

She was happy to get into the plane... no problems. The noise of the engine at idle... no problems. The noise at full throttle... she headed for the pedals to hide! I spent half the time trying to stop her from getting under my feet and half the time trying to fly the plane. Once in the air she would sit behind the pilot seat (C172) and shake like a leaf. I swear she was inducing a vibration in the airframe! And then she would fart. Heavy, strong, "cut the air with a knife" dog farts. At 120 knots and 5000' you can't open the window. The Airvents were useless. I never carried Oxygen but I sure wished I had. Each return flight I did with her was about 1.5 hours and it was simply unbearable so in the end I quit taking her.

So to answer your question: In future I would consider the type of food I fed the dog and as a precaution, probably avoid feeding it at all for a week before I flew anywhere! :)

My Dad took both the cat and the dog with him all the time in the Piper Lance. The moggy used to sit on top of a middle row seat and enjoy the view and the Labrador lay in the luggage area. Dad would take great delight in punting forward and watch as the dog would appear over the back seat then disappear again... and the cat would put it's claws into the seat and hold on... it's legs extending out each time zero "g" was achieved. Neither animal seemed to mind and when they got to the beach-house, both would hope out and wander up to the house as though it was an everyday event. I think pets just like to be with their owners no matter what, really.

Last edited:
Back