What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Frustration - Finding the right wood to make a gas dip stick

I am looking for thoughts on the type of wood people use when making a wooden dip stick for measuring the amount of gas in the tank of my RV7.

Pine wood is too porous and the fuel bleeds along the wood.

I tried some type of hardwood and it's almost as bad.

Any ideas?

Since I had plenty left over from my house framing, I just used one of the composite/plastic?? shims I bought at Home Depot to shim & align doors & windows.

Why not tubing?

Why not just use rigid, clear plastic tubing which can easily be calibrated with a Sharpie. Dip, put your thumb over the top and lift..

Call me fuel tight, but I generally don't have much use for departing with less fuel than I can see in the outside bay in the tank, hence no need for a stick.

I agree

Call me fuel tight, but I generally don't have much use for departing with less fuel than I can see in the outside bay in the tank, hence no need for a stick.

Good call Scott,

I was thinking the same thing. Why do need measure the fuel with the stick? Unless you've "calibrated" the stick it isn't telling you much. Proper tank calibration coupled a visual will tell you what you need to know. After a while you'll be able guess within a gallon or two how much fuel you have just by looking inside.

It seems to me that if the tank is half empty on my plane there is nothing wet to put the stick in. Looking straight down from the filler neck will show only sheet metal. So basically, the stick would only confirm that you have fairly full tanks which you can see from looking. Are the other RV types similar? Mine is a 9a.

edit. I think Paul Rosales added stepped measuring tabs in his 6A after his plane was already flying. I remember looking in his tank at a fuel stop a couple of years ago and thinking what a good idea he had. I memory serves me right he prosealed it in place. Paul, you following this thread?

From Rosie: Here's a picture of what I have in my tank. No set length; just folded up a piece of aluminum and set in place with proseal. The steps ended up being about 2 gallon increments. The steps are labeled from the top A B C D E F G with the last step on the bottom on the tank reading NEED GAS!

Fuel_tank_step_ladder.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
calibrate and use whatever

Dave: I agree that a visual inspection is needed and I use a dip stick clear plastic that I have calibrated (commercial type). If you can look inside and know within a gallon or two, I guess that's OK also. Even though I like to keep my tanks fairly full at all times, I live on an airpark without fuel and often get home without full tanks. The dipstick gives me added confidence when I launch the next time to fill up at an airport nearby. Can I get to the $6 per gallon FBO or the $4.35 FBO on the way to my next destination? The more precise info concerning fuel the better, even though we all know we should never "push the limit" to save a few $$.

Broom Stick

I think it cost me about $2 at the hardware store for a broom handle. Cut in two and made two calibration sticks. When looking straight down and the fuel just coats the bottom of the tank it's at 5gal. The fuel evaporates fairly quickly so when I check the other tank the first tank's coating of fuel on the stick is gone.

Now after using it for the last 120hrs I can pretty much eyeball the tank and know how much is in it.

Ditto

I think it cost me about $2 at the hardware store for a broom handle. Cut in two and made two calibration sticks. When looking straight down and the fuel just coats the bottom of the tank it's at 5gal. The fuel evaporates fairly quickly so when I check the other tank the first tank's coating of fuel on the stick is gone.

Now after using it for the last 120hrs I can pretty much eyeball the tank and know how much is in it.

I use a dowel rod on my Tri-Pooper, I mean Pacer. One annual I had the fuel out and put it back in 2 gallons at a time and marked the rod, it is very accurate, and the fuel does evaporate by the time I crawl up on the other side.

On my 7A, when I look thru the filler hole and can see the fuel splashing on top of the bottom stiffener, I have about 10 gals. When you figure the angle of the 21 gal fuel tank, it's about right. Any variation from that spot, I do the math.

There is a product called a "fuelhawk", an acrylic tube with markings on the side. They make a "generic" version that you can calibrate to your tanks. Nice and easy to read.

"Stick" with the original question!

What I suggest is a common paint stir stick given away for free with the purchase of any house paint from any house paint retailer or big box store.

The wood choosen to make paint stir sticks does not shed slivers very easily. Therefor you will not be contaminating your gas with flaking paint or wood slivers/chips. I don't know what sort of wood it is...I'm guessing...bass wood?

Other advantages: Lightweight, slim, fits in your pocket, fits in airplane side pockets and map boxes, already sanded smooth, easy to notch for calibration, no need for ink that will run/fade with time, and it's free!

I also use just a 1/4" dowel on my Interstate. Drained the system when it was low, had the gas station fill my jugs with 3 gallons each (impressed with how hard they tried to get exactly 3 gallons) and marked the stick as I poured in each jug. Works great. Cheap, lightweight.

Thanks everyone
Down this end of the world people always use an 11 inch bit of wood that has had grooves every 10 litres or so marked on the stick.

Every plane has one made up with the aircraft's callsign on it.

Broom handles have soft wood down in New Zealand and when you dip it it to the fuel the fuel bleeds along the wood and shows a higher level.

I do like the plastic ones mentioned from Aircraft Spruce only they are in US Gals and we are Lirtres and they have them made for Cessna 150, 152 etc.

Thanks everyone
<SNIP>
I do like the plastic ones mentioned from Aircraft Spruce only they are in US Gals and we are Lirtres and they have them made for Cessna 150, 152 etc.

Dave, I believe the Fuelhawk does have a "universal" model which is marked in numbers only, i.e. 1-20 with no units of volume. Should be able to use it with liters as well.

My RV carries 56 gal of fuel, hence I fly with a reduced fuel load in the tank on most occasions. I have a stick!
I used a very scientific approach to contructing my stick. Obtaining my supplies from a reputable purveyor of quality materials. The paint dept at Home Depot for a free stir stick!

OAK....

I am looking for thoughts on the type of wood people use when making a wooden dip stick for measuring the amount of gas in the tank of my RV7.

Pine wood is too porous and the fuel bleeds along the wood.

I tried some type of hardwood and it's almost as bad.

Any ideas?

I used a piece of oak trim and marked it with a SHARPIE at every gallon. Drilled the end and ran a loop of pull tie through it. I stick my finger through the loop before checking the fuel level. I know within 1/2 gallon what I have in fuel.

aerospace fuel level insertion test wand device

For my aerospace fuel level insertion test wand device

I use a wood dowel, they sell at the hardware or home depot/ Don't know what wood type but there is no issue drip-dribble issue. I put some "calibrated notches" on it now. It's now accurate with in a fortnight furlong plus or minus a nats badonkadonk. :rolleyes:

Back