What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inspection Requirements

A question concerning A/C inspection and or DAR review.

A good friend of mine is in the process of having new wings placed on his RV. The old wings along with the spare and a few other items were determined to be improperly assembled during a conditional inspection after a few years of flying. Yes he wishes he had done a good pre-buy. That?s another thread.

What are the legal and ?Good Idea? requirements for inspections by a second or third party? Will he be required to re-fly off a period of hours before the aircraft can be used to take up a passenger or be limited to a certain distance for a given time?

This is considered a major repair, not a modification. No further phase I testing is required. Of course it would be prudent to do a certain amount of flight testing before carrying passengers as with any repair.

Texas is RV country

I would recommend that he hire someone like Mel to check it out.

For my own information, I would like to know what was so bad that replacement wings is required. Are there major issues with the spar, or is it just a lot of small mistakes? Did the plane fly true?

Back