What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Last word on muffler springs?

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Official guidance from Gus at Van's is to run two beads of RTV along the inside of each spring but DO NOT fill the spring completely with RTV. Makes sense to me.

Wayne 120241 /143WM (Someday)

It's a good idea to add a bead where the spring meets the muffler "spring loop". It keeps the spring from rotating and wearing the muffler loop from wearing.

Does the Manual say WHY?

We were taught in the ultralight weight shift (Pusher configuration) that the RTV helps dampen the vibration and hence wear and tear on the springs, and when they do break they dont go ping and through your prop, the RTV keeps the 2 halves together. Guess the same inside a cowl, you dont want it to go ping and then bouncy bouncy in there...

Anyone???

Regards
Rudi

prevent falling objects

If the RTV keeps a broken spring together until it can be replaced, then there is less of a chance of a spring falling and hitting a person or property.
Joe

Fill 'em

Even if you fill them there is absolutely no problem if they have to be removed. If you do remove them, add a fresh dab of RTV at the connection points and let it cure again.

Still probably not the final word but...

Section 11.3 in the Rotax Installation Manual says...

"It is also recommended to fill the springs with high heat silicone for additional damping of vibrations".

This is the reason it is specified in the construction manual.

Rotax expert advise...

Suggestion during my spring installation included running #40 safe tie through the spring from attach point to attach point. Guarantees no spring loss.
But to also use of RTV as stated in the thread.
My DAR (Mel) loved that!

Dick

Back