What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Find Flox/Epoxy

Paris12Man

Well Known Member
Hello All, I've just started on my project (compared to most of you) and while I'm waiting for my wing and fuselage kits, I thought I would do some of the small work with the lighting kit. On page 40-7 of the lighting kit, it calls out for "add flox/epoxy mixture to inside of W-1222 L & R....." I have no experience with resins, epoxys, and such. I'm assuming flox is some sort of strengthening agent for epoxy but can't seem to find it anywhere. Where do we find flox for purchase? I tried Aircraft Spruce and they don't offer flox, but do have other products. What did you guys use and where did you find it?
Thanks

Flox

Aircraft Spruce and other aviation materials suppliers...cheap...a 1-lb goes a long way.

Flox is something you make by mixing flocked cotton with epoxy resin...ACS sells everything you need....

West System Resins are great. Don't go down to Walmart or the auto store for your resin as that will be polyester resin and that stuff should be outlawed around airplanes....

You need resin and hardner. You can get fast or slow hardners...I recommend having both around.

Most people buy the pumps to make it easy to mix the stuff.

You will most likely also need some microballoons.

Some peel ply is also handy.

You may need some glass cloth at some point (not sure on the 12)..

You can get fast or slow hardeners...I recommend having both around.

On the RV-12, DO NOT even consider the fast hardener UNLESS your shop is below 20 degrees F.

The fast hardener sets up way too fast with spring/summer temps upon us.

I got my flox and micro balloons at AC Spruce. I have enough left over for a fleet of RV-12's. For all the big lay ups I totally agree go with the West slow hardener. I wish I had also bought the fast hardener for smaller jobs. The West products are available at many marine stores, and is less expensive there.

More Epoxy Questions

Thanks in advance.

RV-12 builders - please advise as to how much (quantity) of each of the the above to purchase. Which peel ply do we buy? Anything else that you would recommend for 'fiberglass work'?

I have heard that West Products and West Marine are not the same company. Others say that they are. Anyone know for sure?

The type of airplane has nothing to do with it....sometimes having a faster cure is a huge advantage and time saver.....

On the RV-12, DO NOT even consider the fast hardener UNLESS your shop is below 20 degrees F.

The fast hardener sets up way too fast with spring/summer temps upon us.

West Marine sells the same West resin supplies....just you will pay allot more for it there...

Thanks in advance.

RV-12 builders - please advise as to how much (quantity) of each of the the above to purchase. Which peel ply do we buy? Anything else that you would recommend for 'fiberglass work'?

I have heard that West Products and West Marine are not the same company. Others say that they are. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks for the info

Thanks to all for the good information as normal. I've got some material on order and I'll put them to use in the near future. Steve:)

More...

You will need -
..paper cups
..measureing cup(s) plastic
..tongue suppressor or similar stir sticks
..mask(S) Do Not Breathe Flox or MicroBalloons
..many sizes - widths of masking tape
..Duct Tape
..lacquer thinner etc
..MLK and or Naptha
..and the band plays on

You will need -
..paper cups
..measureing cup(s) plastic
..tongue suppressor or similar stir sticks
..mask(S) Do Not Breathe Flox or MicroBalloons
..many sizes - widths of masking tape
..Duct Tape
..lacquer thinner etc
..MLK and or Naptha
..and the band plays on

Don't use paper cups, stop by the grocery store and pick up some of the Glad disposable containers, they clean up very easily, once the epoxy has hardened.

No need for the measuring cup(s) if you buy the West pumps. The pumps do a good job of measuring the epoxy and hardener, one pump of each, and go mix it.

I'm not sure what the masking tape is for but I use the clear plastic packing tape. Put some down and you can lay your fiberglass over it and when it hardens, the glass will pull right off.

Also, petroleum jelly works great as a mold release agent.

Another trick I heard about the other day but haven't tried is to put down a layer of 4 mil plastic, place your FG cloth on that, drip some epoxy on the cloth, put another layer of 4 mil plastic over, then squeegee in the epoxy so it covers all the cloth. Once that is done, using the pizza style cutter, cut your shape through the plastic. Then peal off one piece of plastic and take the other, which is holding the wetted fiberglass, over to the part you need to glass. That sure sounds simple.

Oh, and don't forget the peal ply.

Thanks in advance.

Different folks. The marine store is a marine supplies store: ropes, anchors, etc. The West Products sells epoxy and related.

(I've got a boat and the West Marine catalog is for the boat like Aircraft Spruce's catalog is for my plane.)

Back