What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 seat positioning

engineerofsorts

Well Known Member
My favorite wife, all 5'3" of her, is the pilot in the family. In her demo ride in the RV-12, one problem of her under-tallness was not having a comfortable reach to the rudder pedals. I see a few possible solutions, and would appreciate opinions:

1. The obvious--padding placed between her back and the seat back.
2. Custom thicker seat cushions from the seat manufacturer.
3. Some type of extension of the rudder/brake pedals
4. Extension of the adjustment range of the seats--In the red prototype I noted the two piano hinges used to select two different seat positions. Would it be possible (after inspection, of course) to add and additional row (or rows) of piano hinges to the move the seat closer, or will this run into other interference/seat anchoring problems?
5. Any others?

Enlighten me, all you RV-12 veteran noted authorities on everything.

Rob Reese
(Soon to be ordering an RV-12 kit)

There is a huge difference between a test flight and building a plane for said wifey. You'll have plenty of time for her to get comfy by doing all of the above.

Rob, I'm no "authority on everything" but I do know you are one lucky man! A pilot for a wife? I think I've been looking at this whole flying thing wrong. You have the perfect auto pilot! Just tell her where you want to go and poof! You are there!. NICE!

Don't tell me she can change the oil also.......:eek:

Does she have a sister? ;)

Last edited:
Your Favorite Wife?

Your favorite wife? You have others? lol

My favorite wife has the same problem (leave her sister alone Larry) and you can do it with back cushions. The stick does come close to the tummy but it works. There is an outfit in Houston working on a pedal extention aftermarket which has developed several other successful RV products. Maybe....

Do it.

Hey Bob

If you can build the plane - you can figure out what it takes to make things work out. All the items you suggested will likely get you there. You can do it ! ! !

John Bender

Just a thought, but have you tried moving the TOP of the seat back farther forward? It has worked for me in the past and would be an easy fix.
John Foy

RV12 Pedal Extensions

Can someone give me the contact information for the company in Houston developing the rudder pedal extensions for the RV12?

Bob

Thanks for the ideas

Thanks everyone for the comments

Yes, folks, she is my favorite wife. My second wife is a rectangular box at the side of my desk who speaks conversational linux (and her actual name is secondwife.xxxx.yyyy.com--the I.T. folks at work called and questioned me when I christened her.

And yes, my favorite wife does have a single sister--If you don't mind a Japanese-speaking 63-year old, living in central Japan--who doesn't fly--I got just the girl for you.

I suspect that once my RV-12 is sitting partially assembled in my garage, the various modifications needed for my favorite wife will be obvious.

The Houston outfit that makes the rudder pedal extensions can be found at
http://www.mlblueskunk.com/Rudder_pedal_Extensions.html

Rob

Can someone give me the contact information for the company in Houston developing the rudder pedal extensions for the RV12?

Bob

Sure Bob, M.L. Skunk Works Inc.

you can find em at mlblueskunk.com ...they have extentions for 4's, 6's, 9's, and 10's.

Back