VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-06-2019, 12:05 PM

Default Hangar thoughts....

I am sure a lot of you have your won hangar either built, bought, or rented. I am looking for some opinions on building one with limitations.

A local airport has a 64x60 cement pad with a 15' height limitation, which in my opinion, is pretty short for that large of a hangar. I have told them that leaves only about 12' for the door..depending on the door....but no more than 12'. Also, I am being told the longer the door, the more head room for support which will encroach even further into the already limited door height.

The pad has gone unused for nearly 20 years. The airport thinks someone will come along and build a six figure hangar even with those limitations. I disagree. I would assume a potential hangar builder would want to "future proof" the building....meaning, ten years from now they want to sell it but they have a very limited market because of the door.

The rest of hangars in that row are all 18-20' doors.

Would you spend the money building a hangar with those limitations?
Old 12-06-2019, 12:21 PM

Default Four Hangars?

Seems like with that height limitation, you're only really going to fit a standard single-engine GA plane. In that case, depending on taxiway access, why not break it into four 30x32' hangars? A 12' door is plenty for an RV, Cessna, Piper, etc. Use one and rent out the other three.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:04 PM

They want a 64x60...

And there is only taxiway access on two sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by krwalsh View Post
Seems like with that height limitation, you're only really going to fit a standard single-engine GA plane. In that case, depending on taxiway access, why not break it into four 30x32' hangars? A 12' door is plenty for an RV, Cessna, Piper, etc. Use one and rent out the other three.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:29 PM

12 feet overhead will allow for singles and light twins, and some motor homes will fit. You might get a little more height if you were to go with accordion doors vs a hydro lift type door. Bifold doors will cost you to much head height.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:54 PM

Default Wantin' ain't Gettin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Tim View Post
They want a 64x60...

And there is only taxiway access on two sides
Well, as I often tell my kids: "Wantin' ain't gettin'"
Old 12-06-2019, 01:59 PM

I had a steel building guy look at it and even with a mostly flat roof and hydro door of 60', he needs more headroom for support. Accordion doors are an option their hangar construction needs larger beams for a 64' wide building.

Again, considering that hangar would be sold at some point in the future, I am trying to consider the next buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by togaflyer View Post
12 feet overhead will allow for singles and light twins, and some motor homes will fit. You might get a little more height if you were to go with accordion doors vs a hydro lift type door. Bifold doors will cost you to much head height.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:22 PM

Can you put a turntable in it and rent space on the turntable?
Only one door is needed that way, although access height may be an issue, unless you build the turntable even with the ground. But if you do that, you don't need the existing pad.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-06-2019, 02:44 PM

Most restrictions and requirements can be modified with an offer. In development we do this all the time. Treat the deal like you are developing the site and to get the best use, you need some help from them. Everybody wins.

Go for a 20' height - on one end and slope to the back to lower height. That will give you room for a taller door if you want.

They have to realize a 60x64 hangar owner that wanted it for 1 plane will most likely not make it in a 12' door so the height limit will not get them what they want. If you can make it work for 4 planes, they have 4 people they are selling fuel to, buying candy bars, and supporting other airport businesses.
Awaiting DAR Inspection
Old 12-06-2019, 03:50 PM

I'd lobby for an increased height limit. My airport has a 22' minimum sidewall height. Find out why the low height, preserving someone's view, keeping out jets or big twins, ??? Then find an alternate way to deal with whatever the reason.

1950 Navion - flying
RV-6 - 17 yrs and 99.1% done
1940 Rearwin Cloudster project next
4 L-2 projects on deck
Old 12-06-2019, 04:50 PM

Quonset ‘Hut’ Building with square bypass doors on cable ‘stays’ stabilized framework. Relatively cheap....doors on both ends....partnership or rental potential. Search will give you many options.
Don’t like the curve down low...no problema....Wide span Quonset on 4’ concrete riser wall. 15’ easy peezy....
You can assemble with a rental forklift and if you live near Sedona, AZ....well
it’s on my bucket list.
I forgot...how wide is an RV...24-28’...?
Piece of cake....concrete epoxy anchors...
Hard part is done....slab.

You can thank the Sumerians 8000 years ago.

R