What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1800 RV6A?

Understood and agreed Philip. Unfortunately my NAA (National Aviation Authority) , called the FOCA (Federal Office for Civil Aviation), wants some serious data before committing to any change. Obtaining said data is possible, but alas, outside my financial reach.
I’ll be happy if able to bump the MTOM by 50lbs for now, thanks :)

Last edited:
Where is gross listed?

Quick question especially for Scott at Van's but anyone else please chime in. My 6A has a 1800 gross listed in the POH and the Data plate but it was signed off after phase 1 testing at much less. I think the original builder took the aerobatic gross at 6G and worked backwards to a normal category gross weight of 1800. He's a light guy and never flew the plane this heavy and neither do I so I am not trying to discuss the merits of exceeding factory limits.
My question is what is the legal limit? Is it the POH or what is in the phase one sign off? I have spoken with some very educated people and a DAR and they agree the plane should be tested at the gross weight one plans to use (And I agree). The problem is that I haven't found a reference for this and neither has anyone I have asked. If anyone has the reference please post it for us.
Thanks
Kirk

Last edited:
Quick question especially for Scott at Van's but anyone else please chime in. My 6A has a 1800 gross listed in the POH and the Data plate but it was signed off after phase 1 testing at much less. I think the original builder took the aerobatic gross at 6G and worked backwards to a normal category gross weight of 1800. He's a light guy and never flew the plane this heavy and neither do I so I am not trying to discuss the merits of exceeding factory limits.
My question is what is the legal limit? Is it the POH or what is in the phase one sign off? I have spoken with some very educated people and a DAR and they agree the plane should be tested at the gross weight one plans to use (And I agree). The problem is that I haven't found a reference for this and neither has anyone I have asked. If anyone has the reference please post it for us.
Thanks
Kirk

One of the items required at initial application for certification is a W & B for the aircraft. This will generally include details on CG range and max. weight.
This document ends up as part of the document file that gets sent to and archived in Oklahoma City.
The assumption (I can't point you to any specific part of the FAA Order that spells it out) is that the Phase 1 testing will be done based on this submitted data and that the phase one completion sign off will be stating testing was done to verify that data in the context of the aircraft being safe and having no unusual characteristics. It is this weight recorded in the log book that is the official (legal if you want to call it that) gross weight. A primary reason for this is that gross weight is not a required data point for the data plate. A POH is not required either. The only thing regarding gross weight that in writing is specifically required is the log book entry (requirement is specified in the Phase 1 Operating Limitations).

If at some point, it is decided to deviate from the original data, testing has to be done to validate the new data. This would be considered a major change so will require re-entering Phase 1 testing, and complying with whatever your operating limitations stipulate be done when incorporating a major change.

This is the understanding I have, but maybe Mel or another DAR will come come by and provide some additional input (or correct this as needed).

Last edited:
Scott,
Thanks for the reply. This seems logical but between regs and advisory circulars it isn't spelled out.
Kirk
RV12
RV6A

Back