What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recognizing the impulse magneto

Skint

Well Known Member
This is probably a very dumb question:
This is on an X0-360, new, with Slick mags.
The wiring diagram calls for a jumper on the ignition switch based on which magneto is the non-impulse mag.
How do I know which one is which?

Also, what do you guys like to put around the engine mount before zip tying anything to it?

Cheers

Tim

Left

It's almost always the left mag that has the impulse coupling (from the pilot's point of view). You can check by model number on the mag's data plate.

Block under the hold down

Look at the base of the mags. i have always been told it is the one with what looks like a spacer where it mounts.

My XP-360 came with BOTH mags impulse, maybe yours will too. In that case, both can be hot for starting. I've been told that the spacer (like Gary said) is the way to easily identify an impulse mag- I have spacers on both sides.

Something like this should provide satisfactory protection for attaching a zip tie to the engine mount: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/tape_rescue.html. Others may have different suggestions.

(Edit- took another look and this is actually what I used: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/uniwrap.php. Not sure what the difference is but you get a lot more for about the same price.)

Last edited:
My XP-360 came with BOTH mags impulse, maybe yours will too. In that case, both can be hot for starting. I've been told that the spacer (like Gary said) is the way to easily identify an impulse mag- I have spacers on both sides.

This is the most ideal setup, using the same hear, this eliminates/for the most part any chance of a kick back during start up.

Build race cars and Baja 1000 motorcycles.
Try buying heat shrink tubing in colors for color coding and slip a cut (sized) piece on your ziptie before you pull it down. After it is tight, heat with a heat gun on low setting.
Some heat shrink is closer to having a 'rubber feel' rather than a 'plastic feel'.
Rubber is preferred.
Your ziptie will never slip or rub.

Dick Jacobs

--- snip ---

Also, what do you guys like to put around the engine mount before zip tying anything to it?

Cheers

Tim

Do not use zip ties on the engine mount. Adel claps are what should be used. Adel clamp to engine mount with a bolt though it and another Adel clamp around the wire, tube, or hose.

See other posts about the mag. The SPACER between the mag and engine is a good sign. Check the model number to make sure. If you have LASAR mags, you could have a spacer but the mag may or may NOT be impulse coupled mag and the model number is the only way to tell without pulling the mag.

Back