What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

control panel fit

dick seiders

Well Known Member
Ready to install comtrol panel to panel deck and find the hex screws on control panel appear to be too long in that there is insufficient space to fit over deck flange and nutplates. Is this a design issue? Have any of you past this point had to cut the hex spacers down to make the fit? Comments on this will be appreciated as I would like to press on with the installation.Thanks.
Dick (former) RV6A bldr/owner

It looks like you have a deck with nutplates installed that should not be. There was an error in early plans and parts for these locations. Remove the nutplates that interfere. The screw is intended to go through the hole in the deck flange and then thread into the standoff of the switch panel.

Thanks,Scott. I researched the change notices and you are correct. I didn't pick up on it when reviewing the change earlier as while it is shown on dwg revision it was not described on the CN. Thanks for the quick feedback.
Dick

Control Panel

Speaking of instrument panel installation doesn?t it seem odd that the switch panel on the left side makes the left panel poke out a little at the bottom as compared to the center panel? J

Ready to install comtrol panel to panel deck and find the hex screws on control panel appear to be too long in that there is insufficient space to fit over deck flange and nutplates. Is this a design issue? Have any of you past this point had to cut the hex spacers down to make the fit? Comments on this will be appreciated as I would like to press on with the installation.Thanks.
Dick (former) RV6A bldr/owner

Bought my airframe already built - so was stumped for half a day by the bad fit (yes..the nutplates were installed).
Finally resolved the problem by cutting off 3/16" of the hex studs with a dremel cutoff wheel. The panel slips right in and the screws still fit fine.

Dick

Back