What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Lights

Geico266

Well Known Member
Rumor has it the -12 was at the Copper State Fly In over the weekend with the position lights installed. How about landing lights?

From what I heard the lights can be added without opening up the wing tips. That would be huge!

Anyone get any pics? :confused:

Last edited:
Position lights

I'm not at the LSA stage (age) yet but while I was meandering thru the LSA vendors I took a quick look the 12. IIRC, they had the Aero Led Pulsar position lights installed. They installed these much like they did on the older wingtips. They fab'd up a glass fairing that the light attaches to and then that attaches to the wing tip. Sorry no pictures, I left my camera behind.

Last edited:
The lights

I inquired by email a week ago and Ken S. came back and said they were installing the lights on the prototype (last week). That probably means they will be available very soon. I mentioned that I had not completely closed out my wingtips because waiting to see the light kit. He said that since the lights were designed to be installed on a completed airplane and that probably would not do me a lot of good. But, just guessing where the light will be, and how big a hole will be made, makes me wonder how hard it will be on a completed wing to reach clear back in there to that last rib where the string is taped, pull off the tape and retrieve the string?

Tony

Access to the last rib

My guess is you drill out the hand-hold rivets. Only a handful, and that should provide sufficient access...

Cheers...Keith

LIGHTS & OTHER OPTIONS

I talked to Ken at Van's yesterday and he said the plans for the light package and the auto pilot were just about finished. He said the next step after plans is to fabricate parts. He also said the Dynon 100 is being installed in the red 12 now and plans for that option are being worked on. He expected all three of these options will be released before the end of November.

On another note, Abby of Flightline Interiors is making me a set of seats 2" lower then the standard seat (without the riser cushion). I am 6-3 and have to slouch to keep my head from hitting the canopy even without headphones on. I have headroom problems in a lot of aircraft, my height is in my back, not so much in my legs. My legroom in the 12 is fine with the seat in the rearward position.
Larry

I wouldn't expect a light on the tail. It isn't required if there are white lights at the rear of the wingtip lights.

Also remember that a "sport-pilot" is limited to daytime VFR.

Good point, Mel. Of course, it's not against the rules for a PPL (or greater) holder to fly an LSA at night, if its properly equipped, right? Neither the night flight nor the lighting equipment would invalidate the LSA or E-LSA certification of the aircraft.

You are correct!

Good point, Mel. Of course, it's not against the rules for a PPL (or greater) holder to fly an LSA at night, if its properly equipped, right? Neither the night flight nor the lighting equipment would invalidate the LSA or E-LSA certification of the aircraft.

The daytime VFR rule is for the sport pilot, not the airplane.
An ELSA may be flown at night by a qualified recreational pilot or above as long as the aircraft meets 91.205.

Last edited:
Is the Rotax 912uls actually certified for night flight? I thought I read a few years ago that this specific engine has both a certified version and an uncertified version. Assuming the Pilot is appropriately rated, can the RV12 be legally flown at night with this engine?

Last edited:
How About Nav Lights?

Does anyone know if the wing tip lights produce red/green marker type lights, or just strobe type?

I'll want them anyway!

Tom

It is not unusual for a tower to ask for landing lights in a busy pattern or airport with students flying. Don't ask a sport pilot to fly without normal safety equipment - lights are not just for night flying.

Last edited:
It is not unusual for a tower to ask for landing lights in a busy pattern or airport with students flying. Don't ask a sport pilot to fly without normal safety equipment - lights are not just for night flying.

I totally agree. Besides, I don't want to have my passengers looking at a row of "INOP" switches on my RV-12 panel and wondering what else is inop on the plane :eek:

Tony

I have not tried to renew my medical, because of some medical conditions that I have gone through recently. I have a flying partner that still has his medical and we still often fly together. One of the biggest advantages of putting lights on the RV-12 is the ability to get home after dark. If we were out on one of our trips and started home late, he would have the ability to fly the RV-12 after dark and get us home. If I did'nt install light on it, then we would both be stuck somewhere. Trying to think ahead.

LED...Nav...strobes...landing lights

The newer LED landing lights, nav lights and strobe lights are pretty amazing. Any light sport aircraft can justify strobe and wig-wag landing lights just for safety sake in the pattern. A thousand bucks in lighting surely makes you safer than a 'nicer interior package. Of course, a RV grin can occur for many reasons. Can the RV grin do muscle damage to your jaw if used all the time in flight?

Back