What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the Status of your RV-12

RV-12Finishedmostly100_1146.jpg

RV-12Taildecals100_1136.jpg

RV-12Finishedmostly100_1150.jpg

RV-12Finshedmostly100_1144.jpg

Easier for me to look at this way.

Last edited:
Man-oh-man...

...that pretty lady seems to just be begging for landing gear fairings and wheelpants! I know, I know, 130MPH max.....oh well:cool:

Blue skies 'n tailwinds,

Thanks Pierre

I don't believe they have offered them yet. I will likely add them next summer.

John Bender

Larry,
That is a pretty plane. Well done. What paint and color did you use for your interior? I have the taupe and red seats and I think your inerior color would match these seats. I'm leaning toward a red and cream exterior.

Art Pennanen

Hey Art

Larry was kind enough to put my pictures direct on the post, before I figured out what I was doing wrong. I think I have it now.

The interior is Plasti-kote ( made by Valspar ). Rough type finish that can be touched up very easily. I put plenty on, and it likley added a pound or two, but I like it.

Waiting for smooth air for first flight.

Thanks,

John Bender

I'm only as far as building the tail, so I don't have all of the plans. What's the red knob on the floor between the seats do?

I'm only as far as building the tail, so I don't have all of the plans. What's the red knob on the floor between the seats do?

That is the fuel shut off knob. Pull up and it turns a little ball valve to shut the fuel off to the engine compantment. Push down and it is open.

Nice job John!

FIRST FLIGHT TODAY

RV-12Firstflightday10-19-09100_1166.jpg

The long wait was worth it. Perfect first flight weather late this afternoon. Went very well. Greased it on 2 times. Stalled it once. Put it away while all was well. Flew just great. NO SURPRISES !

John Bender

MR. HAPPY FACE ! ! ! ! !

Congratulations John, well done. Thanks for all your help as a "trail blazer" builder. Realy appreciate you sharing your information on this forum. Well better get Larry's aircraft off of the screensaver and replace it with N369JB. Marcus.;)

This morning

Went to the airport this morning thinking I was going to clean up the mess I had made over the last 3 weeks getting my -12 put together. Washed the bugs off the leading edges from first flight late yesterday. The wind switched as I was doing that. Slowed down too. Short story - I got in 2.3 hours this morning ! ! ! !

Found something new also : When you buzz a friends house close by, below 500 feet the voice that was sweet telliing me "500 feet" during landing, now in a harsh voice says "Obstacle, pull up, Obstacle Pull up". See, still learning. Also had the warning come on saying low on fuel. Put in another 6 gals and took off again. Ceiling was 4900', ( airport 975 ), Smoother air, an really comfortable. I feel very comfortable landing it now. No bounces ( yet anyway ).

John Bender

Last edited:
Just guessing

The data base gives the airport elevation, so I would guess they are using that as a base figure, then 500 feet about that, it gives you the soft message.

John Bender

Good Job

John,

Need to add my congrats. Knowing what you (and the rest of us) have been through as the initial group I'm proud of you for completing the project...and beautifully at that.

Airworthiness Certificate Received Today for N128MS

Ran the engine for the first time yesterday and today the DAR came to the hangar and inspected the RV-12. In fact, three of them came because this was the first S-LSA/E-LSA for the Chicago FSDO. Received the airworthiness certificate so it is OFFICIAL. This thing is a real airplane!!

Have a 40 nautical mile Phase I flight test period of 5 hours.

Congratulations Marty! Way to go. Ditto on those pictures. Keep us posted on your flight testing program will you?

Good show Marty! Your builders log has helped me with building my -12 and avoiding some of the pit falls. Look forward to reading about your phase I flights.
Good luck,

Art Pennanen

Marty

As much help as you given the rest of us, you certainly deserve to be one of the first to fly. Have fun. Can't believe you got the real feds to do it...they must have been impressed!

Good job Marty. I would also like to join the chorus of praise for your contribution to the early builders and all of us following in your footsteps.

Yea Marty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Marty, atta-way-to-go!

Hung my engine yesterday.

Started raining yesterday and is raining this morning.

Pete should not be far behind you.

From Texas,
Bob Kibby

Congrats Marty and John!

First, congrats to both of you. As one of the early builders, I have followed both of your builds pretty closely as I proceed with mine at a pace that is several months behind yours. Marty- your site and suggestions have been absolutely great.

John- I saw your posting on the First Flights Hobbs Meter on Van's website. Is your video posted anywhere??

Way to go!

Awesome Marty!

Don't forget to stop in a 61C next summer on your way to Oshkosh to show off your -12. Mine will still be progressing along slowly!

John! Your operating instructions say you cannot fly over congested areas! Compared to where I fly that is congested! ;)

Nice pic!

Last edited:
Thanks guys

The pilot of the other plane is flying an award winning Taylorcraft at 92 MPH. The photos were taken by a guy who wanted to go up and take pictures of other things, and agreed to take these also. HE TOOK 104 and dropped off a CD tonight. They were taken with a Canon, with a long lens. They are about 2.5 meg each. Really appreciated them. Several are very good.

John Bender

Wing Installation to drill flaperon torque tubes

A high point today. Help from a fellow RV builder (RV7A) let me insert the wings and drill the needed torque tube holes. The wings went in and the other odds and ends all fit as they should have. Had some trouble getting the pins out of one wing until we wiggled it up/down and fore/aft. First work started early January this year...working around 3 to 4 hours a day but going slow.

Interior options installed...

Here are a couple of shots of the interior options, side panels and carpets. The unfinished right instrument panel in the pic is holding, waiting for the dual display option. Like JohnF, I too started in January, now have 850 hours in the project.
731845444_fMLxs-S.jpg

731848546_nFcGg-S.jpg

I know, the fuel tank isn't in. I keep finding other things to work on that are more fun.
Am scheduled to pick up the powerplant kit next week at Van's:D.
Tony

Not a bad looking plane with a RV paint job

At first I thought this plane was ugly. Now that I am getting ready to deliver it to the new owner I kinda like it. Not a bad buy for 75K.
1205091607.jpg

1205091607a.jpg

1205091607b.jpg

Last edited:
Well lets just say it didn't move fast at that price. I am a firm believer that if something is priced right it will sell. Some people think the 12 is worth a lot more. The truth is this is the easiest and fastest to build RV yet. That being said what makes you think its to cheap.

My RV-12 sold before it was done for $ 85,000, this is without paint. We will get it through certification and it will be the new owners ready to fly or paint. Please try to get a fair price for your time invested.

Best regards,
Vern

For me it's not about the money. It's about having fun and supporting my hobby. As long as I don't lose money I am happy. My next project is a HRII.

The future

With fuel prices going up and up and up and up, and the EPA about to bear down GA and 100LL, these LSA/Rotax combos are the sensible way of the future....They are a capable and fun airplane with the performance numbers that have been a staple in GA since the 60's (compare to a C-150)....homebuilt or not, LSA will be "the future" of recreational GA in the U.S. 100LL machines will become dinosaurs unless owner can sink thousands to retro-fit engines for other fuel options....100LL will die eventually.

N577RV Status Report

I have had the engine sitting on it's shipping crate bottom with all the prep work completed and today looked dry and bright so I headed for the tool rental place and brought home an engine hoist to install the little motor. Easy job, it only weighs 160 pounds at this stage, and is easy to position on the motor mounts. The only challenge was getting the top engine mount bolts torqued, not much room to get tools in, took some innovation.
766046406_BVnpW-S.jpg

766046564_pSC7c-S.jpg

Tony

Easy job, it only weighs 160 pounds at this stage, and is easy to position on the motor mounts. Tony

Actually the complete powerplant installation weighs about 160 lbs.
The engine by it self only weighs about 130 or so, which can be lifted in place by two people. Using the engine hoist is the easy and safe way to do it though.

Handling the engine...

Actually the complete powerplant installation weighs about 160 lbs.
The engine by it self only weighs about 130 or so, which can be lifted in place by two people. Using the engine hoist is the easy and safe way to do it though.

It takes several minutes, or longer, of holding the engine in place and jiggling it around to get the mount bolts pushed in. Two people holding that much weight would tire quickly. The motor has no good handles on it and with two people trying to hold it, they would be very much in the way of the other person trying to get the bolts in. Like Scott says, a hoist is the safe way to go.
Tony

Last edited:
Back