What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seatbelts 2" or 3" which is better?

charosenz

Well Known Member
Anyone have experience flying behind both a 2" seat belt and a 3" wide seat belt? Is the 3" more comfortable, or too bulky and wide...

Just curious.

Charlie

Last edited:
Probably too bulky. Will you have a crotch strap? I?ve not shown with 3? but I have an old set of military 3?. I use 2? Crow with integrated shoulder pads, a crotch strap and rotary buckle. Simply first class. And not the most expensive.

Bevan

Anyone have experience flying behind both a 2" seat belt and a 3" wide seat belt? Is the 3" more comfortable, or too bulky and wide...

Just curious.

Charlie

After an encounter with severe turbulence and pondering what would happen if my flailing arms had snagged and unlatched the stock Vans harness release I installed a five-point G-Force 3" racing harness in the left seat. The crotch strap is much narrower, probably about 1 1/2". Yes, the 3" set is considerably heavier and bulkier than the Vans set but isn't uncomfortable. In my Fokker biplane I installed a 2" G-Force set and it is probably the best option if comfort is a high priority.

I use the G-Force harness due to a good experience with them in my kit car for a dozen years and they are very reasonably priced and available at Jegs and Summit Racing.

I’ve got a variety of 2” and 3” in our various airplanes, and honestly don't even think about which is which most of the time. I prefer the 3” in the planes in which I routinely fly aerobatics just because of the broader surface where you’re in contact with the webbing. For the shoulders, you can get the same effect with harness pads. In my littlest cockpit, I have 2”, and find that works well because otherwise its just too much webbing in the way of other stuff.

In all cases, I prefer rotary buckles because they seem more secure, and less likely to get snagged and accidentally released.

Paul

I have flown with both. The 2? are more comfortable, and less clunky. If you need them the 3? will distribute the load better across your body. All of my planes and all standard car belts are 2?...

seatbelt size

Thank you to all who posted your thoughts. It is exactly the info I was looking for.

Charlie

5 point 2" Crow harnesses are a great bang for the buck.

I did look at Crow. But two links on the website were broken. My email went unanswered. When I tried to call I got a message machine.

I sent a second email and they said their server was down, and that I should call. They did not answer any of my questions.

Ill probably go with G-Force which have a great track record on the auto race market and they are very competitively priced.

Just where I am leaning at this point.

Thanks.

Charlie

Back