What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rose Bowl Parade

rwarre

Well Known Member
If I decided to fly out to CA for the Rose Bowl Parade what issues/logistics do I need to consider. ie., SoCal airspace, weather, airports, getting to the parade. I have a relative in Fresno, and San Diego for possible accommodations and would try to use uber for transportation. Thanks

Fresno and San Diego would be a little too far for Uber to the Rose Parade. IF flying to the LA Area, any of the airports on the north side of Bravo should work. Rental car and or Uber may or may not be an issue. Getting close to the parade can be an issue. When I lived in SoCAL, I would go to my uncle's house and bicycle from there to the Parade.

I know people at CCB and that is where I would go. IF I did not know anyone in the area, then WHP or EMT would be one of my choices.

Typically, Wx is beautiful in SoCAL for the Rose Parade each year. Watch out for the TFR that they put up for the Rose Parade.

Cable is fine and easy to fly into. Pick up flight following in SoCal and most of the airspace concerns will vanish. You can Uber over to the Montclair or Claremont Amtrak metro train stations, then take that to the Metro Gold line which goes right into downtown Pasadena. Burbank airport is probably the closest, but I'm sure it is expensive for GA (never been there), but they would have rental cars.

You'll need to be there the day before to stake out a good spot along the parade route, then spend all night hanging out until the morning. My sister-in-law works at the Norton Simon Museum and they have VIP seating that we have gotten in the past right in front of the museum, along with parking passes. The traffic in on New Year's morning is pretty crazy, and getting back out after the parade is also pretty difficult. The parade is quite the production, so enjoy it!

It may be too late now to volunteer this year, but a fellow worker here in Alabama and his wife signed up ahead of time a few years ago to help decorate one of the floats. They arrived several days in advance and of course had to work to decorate the float correctly, but they thoroughly enjoyed it. Seems like they had an excellent vantage point provided to them for viewing the parade, too.

Either San Gabriel Valley/El Monte KEMT or Whiteman WHP airports are GA airport close by Pasadena. Lancaster KWJF may be a good alternate if the basin gets socked in. Unless you spend $$$$ for a hotel in Pasadena, plan on camping out along the parade route.. As Bruce mentioned you need to stake out a spot the night before. Parking will also be an issue if you get there to late.

I like parades. On tv. I would make a exception for the Macy's parade if I just knew someone with a apartment along the parade route. It was a cold one this year.

Trip is scheduled

Will plan for EMT on Sunday the 30th. Motel 6 reservations done, they will cancel the same day if needed. So far everything looks promising, weather permitting. It has been 50 years since I did the parade. IU vs the Trojans. Not looking forward to staying up all night, but this is a one time deal. Getting to Pasadena doesn't look to bad, Uber and the Gold line. Suggestions or tips are always welcome. Any RVers at EMT?

Will plan for EMT on Sunday the 30th. Motel 6 reservations done, they will cancel the same day if needed. So far everything looks promising, weather permitting. It has been 50 years since I did the parade. IU vs the Trojans. Not looking forward to staying up all night, but this is a one time deal. Getting to Pasadena doesn't look to bad, Uber and the Gold line. Suggestions or tips are always welcome. Any RVers at EMT?

Looks like sunshine and Blue Bird weather during your stay.... Bring shorts and a light weight shirt too, and enjoy the So Cal weather.

Rose Parade 🌹

So, how did the Rose Parade trip end up? Details please. Have wanted to fly in & out to watch the annual parade and almost did this year but, wasn?t sure about relying on Uber or Mass Trans on such a busy day,,, thanks! -rotor:)

Back