What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B simplest compliance....??

people who don't want to spend $6,000 for the "affordable" version of complying with the mandate.
There are options under $2000 for full compliance and this price point only goes down over the next four years. Being experimental, we don't have to pay egregious installation fees either. Not sure where you are getting the $6000 figure from.

Larry

There are options under $2000 for full compliance and this price point only goes down over the next four years. Being experimental, we don't have to pay egregious installation fees either. Not sure where you are getting the $6000 figure from.

Larry

Well....best I can tell, you need a tansponder, an ADS-B "out" box, and an approved GPS box to feed it. (I might be wrong that you need both the "out" box AND the transponder - just the transponder and the GPS? Dynon now has the least expensive GPS receiver, but transponders still cost a bit.

I do agree that the price point is going to go down - the question is when do you jump in to avoid the crush but get the lowest price? I do have "Top People" trying to figure that out and write about it.....:D

I have a friend who gets alerts whenever the FAA picks up my discrete transponder signature and calls to see how the flight went. There is no hiding with ADS-B...

You can have your n-number blocked, you know. FAA can still see you, obviously, but nobody else.

When and where is ADSB GOING TO BE REQUIRED IN CANADA? I don't really want the FAA to know anything about me unless I'm IFR. I will wait until the last minute to install and stay out of the C ring and go VFR.

I am aware of no published plans to make ADS-B mandatory anywhere in Canada.

Currently, if you are flying at high altitude in some airspace in northern Canada, or over the North Atlantic (i.e. airspace with no ATC radar coverage), and your aircraft ADS-B equipped, Nav Canada can use the position info from ADS-B to allow much smaller IFR separation distances, thus increasing the number of aircraft that can transit a given amount of airspace. Aircraft at high altitude in this airspace that are not ADS-B equipped may be required to use specific routes, while ADS-B equipped aircraft have more route flexibility.

This is not an issue for RVs.

I wonder how many pilots will

Just turn their transponder off and go wherever they want anyway? I'm sure they would still be visible on radar but as long as they avoid class B or C airports where transponders are required....does the FAA have enough resources to station a monitor or enforcer at every airport?

Or just take the transponder out completely? You can't be required to turn on a piece of equipment that isn't installed. If you're a vfr pilot and choose not to comply, the transponder doesn't do a heck of a lot of good as you will be barred from airports where transponders are required anyway.

Not advocating anything unsafe or illegal but I'm sure some pilots are worried, scared unhappy with the situation.

The above is not correct. FAR 91.225(e) specifically exempts aircraft built with no electrical systems from the ADSB requirement when operating under class B airspace.
That being said, I predict you will see a migration to airports just outside the mode C veil. It used to be that hangars got cheaper the further away you got from the city. I think you will see hangar prices rise at airports just outside the veil.

Thanks for the FAR update, my 2010 version does not have 91.225 or 91.227. It does now.
Slowly getting educated on ADS-B...

Stealth mode

And they hold on to all that data. Two years ago at OSH a friend walked up to the FAA's ADS-B both, gave them his N-number and they pulled up all of his flights, including the ones he took without Flight Following.

My friend asked if the FAA was going to use that data for enforcement actions and the FAA guy was non-committal. My friend then told the FAA guy that if they started doing that, then the pilots always have the option of leaving the ADS-B and transponders turned off. I've never seen a Fed get so flustered in my life. He couldn't believe that a pilot would do such a thing. We both smiled and walked away.

FYI...The NavWorx ADS-b EXP 600 goes into stealth mode when squawking 1200. Nice feature.

Well....best I can tell, you need a tansponder, an ADS-B "out" box, and an approved GPS box to feed it. (I might be wrong that you need both the "out" box AND the transponder - just the transponder and the GPS? Dynon now has the least expensive GPS receiver, but transponders still cost a bit.

I do agree that the price point is going to go down - the question is when do you jump in to avoid the crush but get the lowest price? I do have "Top People" trying to figure that out and write about it.....:D

I was assuming that most folks here would already have a transponder, but I guess that is not a fair assumption. Both the Navworx and Freeflight seem to have experimental UAT options (complete with GPS and antennae) for $2000 that leverage your existing Mode C transponder. I am not suggesting that this is a recommended approach, as there are many considerations, but it does appear to get you compliance. Please let me know if I am not understanding this correctly.

I was considering heading in this direction, but will wait a couple of years to see what develops.

Larry

Last edited:
I was assuming that most folks here would already have a transponder, but I guess that is not a fair assumption. Both the Navworx and Freeflight seem to have experimental UAT options (complete with GPS and antennae) for $2000 that leverage your existing Mode C transponder. I am not suggesting that this is a recommended approach, as there are many considerations, but it does appear to get you compliance. Please let me know if I am not understanding this correctly.

I was considering heading in this direction, but will wait a couple of years to see what develops.

Larry

Just for the record, Freeflight's FDL-978-Lite UAT ($1995) is not "experimental", it is a fully certified TSO'd unit eligible for installation in certified or experimental aircraft. L-3 also offers a certified UAT for just $1799! Both have built in GPS.

Just for the record, Freeflight's FDL-978-Lite UAT ($1995) is not "experimental", it is a fully certified TSO'd unit eligible for installation in certified or experimental aircraft. L-3 also offers a certified UAT for just $1799! Both have built in GPS.

Walt, would my European approved Becker 150 watt mode S transponder work with either of these systems for now or would I get a letter from the FAA to cease and desist?

Walt, would my European approved Becker 150 watt mode S transponder work with either of these systems for now or would I get a letter from the FAA to cease and desist?

Two issues here, the Becker will not digitally control either unit (a work around is possible here) but more importantly is the issue noted below, I'd have to look into this further to give you an answer.

"UAT systems with Mode S transponders. Do not install a UAT ADS-B OUT system which has the capability to transmit a random 24-bit address in an aircraft which also has a Mode S transponder unless the random 24-bit feature is disabled. The ATC automation system would interpret the different 24-bit addresses as two separate aircraft, and alert controllers to a conflict that does not actually exist."

Interesting Thread

I will be contemplating my options in the next 4 years as the avionics industry continues to develop affordable solutions for my RV8. I also have a newly restored 1941 Taylorcraft BC12-65 that will take me anywhere I need to go with the dollar investment roughly equal to a full glass modern ADS-B compliant RV panel.

After retiring from two flying careers, both military and civil, I am content to move back into the slow lane and let the big spenders pass by.

Say, Walt.

I have a 430W in my -10. and a certified GTX 327 encoded transponder.
How cheap can I get by with only ADSB out? I'll use my eyes for the 'In' part.

Thanks,

Pierre,

I have the same equipment. I think the least expensive solution is to sell the 327; replace it with a Trig mode SES (22 or 31); get a software upgrade on the 430W so it puts out ADSB+. If you want ADSBin there are lots of $500 boxes, depends on what you have in your panel for a display. I'm lucky that GRT supports a remote TT22 for $2200, minus what I get for the 327; plus lots of 'in' choices. The Navworx EXP system is pretty similar in cost, remembering that it needs you to add antennas.
As you say 'in' is optional, but it doesn't add much to the cost. And NexRad is, inho, worth the cost. I dropped xm wx so the 'in' box, in my mind, is 'free'!

Back