What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canada: Manitoba

Churchill.

For those that want to see Polar Bears, and don't want to head to the north pole. Head to Churchill. There are plenty around the airport. Make sure you bring the cold gear, I have been up there in June and it was 30 deg F and still have several feet of snow on the ground. Airport very small, but very friendly, but there is airline service. Georgian bay is beautiful too. Lots of Pike to catch.

Fuel Availability

Just a warning, some northern airports do not have Avgas available. Safest to call ahead and confirm fuel. Lots of JetA available if your plane prefers that variety.

Yay, Manitoba!

:D I didn't seem to notice this section.

Sadly, even though I've lived here all my life, I haven't really explored much of it. But I hope to change that as get out flying more often.

St. Andrews Airport (CYAV) just north of Winnipeg, is where I trained. It's a nice little airport that is control towered during the day with 3 runways, 18-36, 13-31, and 04-22. 100LL available at Winnipeg Aviation on Apron 2.

Hi Shamit,

Don't forget the Springfield Flying Club at Lyncrest, SE corner of Winnipeg, a cute little grass strip, 27/09 and 35/17.

Home of the Winnipeg Chapter of the RAA (Recreational Aircraft Association) with a ton of homebuilders on the airport.

http://www.lyncrest.org/

the RAA link is on the SFC page.

The SFC has a new clubhouse (bathrooms, kitchen (BBQ if the Wx is nice), lounge, couches for a snooze) and if you contact a member before you arrive I'm certain we can get you a ride to the city or a local hotel etc.

100LL and auto fuel are available with notice.

Here is a link to the Winnipeg Terminal procedures page and the Lyncrest supplement..

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&current=CCF14092011_00000Large2.jpg

Cheers

Tim

Thorp T-18

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

Nope. I didn't forget, but I couldn't remember how available the fuel was to non SFC members (I'm not a member yet) so I didn't want to post until I knew for sure. Thanks for the info! :)

I'm actually a member of that RAA chapter and will most likely use their hangar for my final assembly. Lyncrest is only 10 minutes drive from my home so it will work out nicely as a home for my -9A. And convenient if anyone needs a lift anywhere. Just drop me a PM.

Cheers,

I know it's in Ontario, But Kenora is right on the edge. Very much worth the trip just to fly over the islands of Lake of the Woods in the fall, spectacular, it been a few years for me, but it was easy to get to town, and they had a few good restaurants.

Back