What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bottom corners of firewall - seal or leave open?

iamtheari

Well Known Member
While spending some quality time underneath the instrument panel last night, installing the canopy hinge struts and other fun things, I was reminded that there is light streaming in through the bottom corners of the firewall into the cockpit. Is there a consensus on plugging these small gaps up with maybe some foam and proseal? I may as well do it when I mix up the next batch of proseal for the sub panel flange gaps in section 35, but not if there's supposed to be a gap there for some reason.

It seems that is a gap from the engine compartment to the cabin so it needs the proseal. 50 times to mix a small batch. :eek:

It's a firewall. It should be air-tight for several reasons, not the least of which is carbon monoxide. Sealant should be trapped between flanges, or filleted on the forward, engine side of the joint. No foams. Proseal and 3M Firebarrier 2000 are good choices.

It's a firewall. It should be air-tight for several reasons, not the least of which is carbon monoxide. Sealant should be trapped between flanges, or filleted on the forward, engine side of the joint. No foams. Proseal and 3M Firebarrier 2000 are good choices.

By foam, I just meant to replicate the process in page 35-09 steps 1 and 2 followed by page 35-22 step 2, where small foam blocks are used in a couple of larger gaps where the upper longerons meet the firewall and forward upper skin as backing for pro seal.

The gaps I am asking about here are where the lower longerons meet the firewall, side skin, and bottom skin. I'm wondering if I should plug the gap with foam blocks from the inside to form a backing for pro seal on the outside (firewall side).

By foam, I just meant to replicate the process in page 35-09 steps 1 and 2 followed by page 35-22 step 2, where small foam blocks are used in a couple of larger gaps where the upper longerons meet the firewall and forward upper skin as backing for pro seal.

The gaps I am asking about here are where the lower longerons meet the firewall, side skin, and bottom skin. I'm wondering if I should plug the gap with foam blocks from the inside to form a backing for pro seal on the outside (firewall side).

As long as the foam is later removed, but I can't imagine holes large enough to need it. DanH has proven that you want nothing on the inside of the firewall.

Back