VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-16-2018, 06:11 PM

Default Staying Motivated

I had a frustrating end to my shop day...I had been humming along, finishing the RH elevator substructure on my RV-8 and was riveting the stiffeners to the LH elevator skin when I managed to booger up a rivet on the inside of the trailing edge fold. I've gotten fairly good at drilling out AN470s, but haven't gotten the knack of drilling out flush heads yet, so when I drilled it out, I ended up with an elongated hole...opened it up to #30 and put an oops rivet in, but somehow that ended up even worse. I decided to put down the tools before I did something more foolish, though I'm fearful that when I drill out the NAS 1097 (and it's bad enough that there's no doubt it will have to come out), I'll end up with an unusable LH elevator skin. I'm not looking forward to ordering the skin and stiffeners, and then doing all the cutting, drilling, deburring, dimpling, priming, etc. again to get back to where I am now...already had to do it with the rudder once, and similarly for one mistake that got out of hand.

I'm not really looking for advice as far as what to do, though...as I'm coming up on the end of the tail section, I admit it's experiences like this that leave me a little daunted about how far I have to go. It's bad enough to have to scrap a few hundred dollars in parts if it comes to that (plus cross-country shipping and the lead time), but I worry about the inevitable screw-up on the wings, when I can't exactly just throw the whole spar out and try again. And I'm still in awe of how much there is to learn--I sort of marvel at all the things that were completely unknown when I started that are now pretty routine, but I just got a starter fiberglass kit and have this sort of feeling that every part of this process is going to make me feel in over my head.

It seems like lots of people around here have made all kinds of mistakes (many of the same ones I have), and have managed to press on...my question is, looking back at where I am now, how did you move past the anxiety of the next steps? Did things just get easier (though not necessarily less time consuming) as you got more proficient, or did you figure out how to fix the mistakes better along the way? Does the learning curve ever start to level out?

I'm not saying I'm on the verge of throwing in the towel or anything--I genuinely enjoy the building process and know I'll feel less frustrated and have a better perspective on what to do now in a few days. I'm just looking for what you guys all think now about where I am, looking back on it...
Old 05-16-2018, 06:19 PM

Build on brother! We've all been there. Built two rudders, 5 trim tabs, the list goes on but as your skills grown your mistakes diminish but you will make them all the way to the sweet, awesome, rewarding end!

You can forever say .. "I built an airplane."
#140376 RV-14A QB IO-390 Thunderbolt
Progress: Flying!
Old 05-16-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strikefinder View Post

It seems like lots of people around here have made all kinds of mistakes (many of the same ones I have), and have managed to press on...my question is, looking back at where I am now, how did you move past the anxiety of the next steps? Did things just get easier (though not necessarily less time consuming) as you got more proficient, or did you figure out how to fix the mistakes better along the way? Does the learning curve ever start to level out?

I'm not saying I'm on the verge of throwing in the towel or anything--I genuinely enjoy the building process and know I'll feel less frustrated and have a better perspective on what to do now in a few days. I'm just looking for what you guys all think now about where I am, looking back on it...
You are in good company. As you progress, it's a bit of both: you're skills get better, and you get better at fixing your mistakes. You will decide to replace a few parts, but sometimes that won't be an option, and there is (almost) always a perfectly acceptable repair.

As to your current problem, you could probably clean up the hole, add rivets on either side of it, and fill it in prior to painting. I promise you won't be the only one - any builder can immediately point you to something on their build that they screwed up that probably only they will ever notice or know about.

Taking a break is a good idea, nothing will seem as terrible tomorrow.

Chris
Old 05-16-2018, 06:24 PM

post a pic of your rivet. it may lot be as bad as you think. nobody building a perfect airplane.

everyone has set backs, I've ordered more than one part from Van's. I built my trim tab 3 times.

remember, only quitters quit.

Born to fly, forced to work
Old 05-16-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin8er View Post
post a pic of your rivet. it may lot be as bad as you think. nobody building a perfect airplane.
The one on the left is the current status. I'm not sure how I ended up with the rivet being so proud...it's obviously a tight space but I've never done it so badly, and I was being careful since it was my second attempt:

To make matters worse, the rivet in the next row (same position--against the inside fold) isn't great. If I manage to get the one I'm working on to a tenable position I'm half prepared to just leave it as is, even though it's got a bit of an edge to it:

Old 05-16-2018, 07:09 PM

your rivet isn't that bad, I've done that more than once. it happens when you apply more pressure on the bucking bar than on the river gun when you start to set the rivet. its common when you have to reach a long ways (like on this skin).

take a break, dont be in a hurry, then very carefully drill it out and set a new rivet and build on. I have a few rivets on my plane that look like your second one you posted and I'm going to leave them exactly where they are.

Born to fly, forced to work
Old 05-16-2018, 07:27 PM

Default Punch

Before you dig out the drill, try this.
Use a pin punch and small hammer to tap the rivet once. Often they seat and you can proceed. If not, read up on drilling rivets before proceeding. Then as others said, you can add another either side if necessary. Ask Vans to be certain. The extra rivets may not be needed.

As far as the future...
Read ahead both the manual and this forum. Don't make other builder's mistakes.
When you do make one, stop immediately. Come back to it fresh the next day.
We all make mistakes. Some of us, made some doosies. It's part of the journey. The good news is, you get better every day and make fewer mistakes. The really cool part is looking at a finished product and feeling proud.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:28 PM

Default it's tough

There are times when you want to say "screw it" and get back to your real life. The frustration of going backwards when you mess something up is enough to make you scream. Sometimes I think it's a miracle anyone ever finishes.

These moments just suck. I've got no advice but I certainly know your pain.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:47 PM

As others said, build on. My coping mechanism was to realize my skills would continually improve and by the time I reached the end, if I couldn't live with the screw-ups on the tail I could build a new tail in a heart beat. My "f-it factor" changed over time and I accepted it would fly just fine with some cosmetic flaws. This too will pass.

1950 Navion - flying
RV-6 - 16 yrs and 98.1% done
3.5 L-2 projects on deck
Old 05-16-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin8er View Post
your rivet isn't that bad, I've done that more than once. it happens when you apply more pressure on the bucking bar than on the river gun when you start to set the rivet. its common when you have to reach a long ways (like on this skin).
In this case, I was back riveting. I'm pretty good with the back riveting part, but since you have to bend the other side of the skin out of the way to get to this one, I've always found these challenging...just not ended up with anything quite this bad so far.